News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

TSA Ranks and paygrades

Paul R

Thanks Nick!! Great to see you!

I did see the pay scale, during my searches but I have some questions on how it works. Also, I was wondering about the actual ranking insignia. I have seen these people with various shoulder boards, but do not know what they represent. Do you know anything about the physical insignia?

BTW, the pay looks like it really stinks for the lower half of the scale! I hope that my past military experience(in the DHS) and my degree will help put me into some of the higher pay brackets.

I've only seen shoulder slides that say "TSA" in gold or silver thread, worn by screeners at airports.

Other parts of DHS -- such as Customs and Border Patrol -- wear military ranks on their shoulder slides, and of course the Coast Guard has their own rank system.

Most of the TSA screeners at airports seem friendly and chatty, so it's always worth asking them.

Cheers,

Chris

I've been with TSA since 2002. I will be retiring next Thursday as a Transportation Security Manager.

TSA shoulder board ranks are.

One stripe: Transportation Security Officer (TSO)

Two Stripes: Lead Transportation Security Officer (LTSO)

Three Stripes: Supervisory Transportation Security Officer (STSO)

There are other non-uniformed positions such as mine, also Behavior Detection Officers (BDO), Bomb Appriasal Officers (BAO), Dog teams, training, etc.

Hope this helps.

Terry

Thank you all for the replies.

So there are only three paygrades? How does advancement work? As an E-7 in the Coast Guard, if I were to retire then join up with the TSA, would I have to start at the bottom or is there advanced placement(especially since the Coast Guard is a part of the DHS as well)?

Also, as noted by Chris, I have seen both the gold and silver embroidered insignia. Is this just a variation to be worn with certain uniforms or does it actually have a meaning?

Sorry for the silly questions. BTW, I like the new blue uniforms a lot better.

Paul,

Since I'm Retiring next Thursday I'll have more time to go over the uniforms, pay grades, applying with TSA, advancement, military service as it applies to TSA and much more with you. It has it advantages and disadvantages just like any job. Has excelent benefits, very good pay (I think it is a little better starting out that customs/border patrol) and its is still evolving as a new government organization. Some very interesting personnel work with TSA. I have enjoyed my employment with TSA and would do it all over again. No regreats. Some personnel have a hard time adjusting to it because it has a lot of policies and regulations just like the military. I have always thought it is some where in between the military and the police. You don't always get the appreciation for the job you are doing from the public but it is a very important job. You have the satisfaction that you have done something worthwile and not all jobs out there can say that.

Terry

Mississippi Gulf Coast

Thank you, Terry. I do look forward to talking with you about it. The TSA was established in 2003 and you are already retiring? :jumping: They must count other government employment for retirement points... right?