News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1870 on bar... opinions welcomed

Am posting this for Nick (Obergefreiter). I've seen this one and it's a beaut. Can't see anything to raise alarm bells but he welcomes opinions. Note how it's been drilled to run threads across to keep it firmly back on the bar.

post-873-036351400 1292623496_thumb.jpg

I'm curious what others will say about the EK, which might be good, I'm not sure, but:

the medal bar is played with. From it's construction, it's not a 1870 bar, but post-WW1. It probably started it's life with a 1914 EK and a Hindenburg cross.

I'll say this... if the 1870 wasn't originally on there, is a good one, and they drilled it in order to stitch it down on this bar... then whoever did it should be shot out of a very large caliber cannon! violent.gif

Dan cheers.gif

I agree with Sascha, not an 1870-era bar, but something altered in the distant past. I have seen one other EK2 drilled this way, and I think it is real, although a strange one with the crooked core.

That was the one thing that stood out to me as well when I saw it. Never seen an EK with the core like that. It mostly seems to be the date, hence my wondering if perhaps it is a known variation. Definitely interesting! beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif