News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

4 clasp QSA for my collection thanks to a reunite

Hello Everyone,

The story of this medal, as far as my collection is concerned, started about a year ago when I purchased a four clasp QSA from fellow GMIC member, Timo (aka Noor). The medal I purchased was to a member of the Manchester Regiment. A few months ago Timo contacted me regarding an email he had received from the collector who had sold him the same QSA in the past. I didn't ask permission of this fellow to use his name so I will not do so. It seems that this collector had sold the QSA and later found a second medal to the same recipient and wanted to see if he could arrange a reunite. Timo contacted me as he had sold the medal to me and, not wanting to prevent a reunite, I agreed and he put me in touch with the original owner. The second medal was the only other medal the recipient of the QSA I had was entitled to so this reunite would be the total entitlement, making the reunite even more important.

The collector offered a trade for another QSA with exactly the same four clasps as the one I had, plus it was to the same regiment. The condition of the one offered was far above the condition of the one I was willing to trade plus this new medal was the only medal the soldier named was entitled to. I could not have asked for more, better quality, documentation and the one medal was his complete entitlement. The greatest part was that I was able, as was Timo, to be involved in a reunite. Collecting does not get better than this. Thanks once again to Timo.

Here is the history of the recipient, I think you will find it worth your time to read.

2206 Pte. H. BOARDMAN. MANCH : REGt.

H. Boardman enlisted in the Manchester Regiment on 9.6.1888 at the Depot, Ashton-under-Lyne, on an 8 year Short Service engagement, using the alias James Shelmerdine. He stated he was 18 years 11 months old, a labourer, born at Manchester in July 1869 and that his father was Charles Shelmerdine, 19 Kennedy Street, Manchester. Some time later his records were altered to show James Shelmerdine as an alias and his real name as Boardman. His medal rolls show the initial H, but an entry on his records, show his initial as J. To confuse matters further, he had a tattoo on his left forearm of "RGB", suggesting yet another different Christian name. He was posted to 1st Bn. until 21.2.1890 when he was transferred to the 2nd Bn. in India, where he stayed until 16.2.1896 when he returned home for discharge to the Army Reserve. As a result of the Boer War he was recalled to the colours on 26.12.1899 and served in South Africa. For some unknown reason he was sent home for discharge on 5.6.1901 having completed over 13 years service. He was awarded a 5 pound war gratuity by the Captian commanding D Coy, The Depot, Manchester Regiment on 26.7.01 and was awarded the QSA with clasps, Cape Colony, Transvaal and Wittebergen. He was later awarded the clasp South Africa 1901 in the 1903 supplementary roll.

Following are some photos of this fine medal.

Regards

Brian

Sorry about that last photo post, I was trying to post both views but messed up.

Here's the rest of the naming.

I hope you like my new addition and the short history.

This is one of the treasures of my British collection.

Regards

Brian

Hi,

Small correction but what shows how much actually this medal had been traveled...

A few months ago Timo contacted me regarding an email he had received from the collector who had sold him the same QSA in the past.

Person, who contacted with me about the QSA had same guy IGS and he wasnt the same person who sold it to me. Just his IGS owner and Manchester R. collector spotted my medal online.

Regards,

Timo

Guest Darrell

Brian, I have a copy of the actual medal roll if you would like it ...

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll fire them off to you :)

Brian, I have a copy of the actual medal roll if you would like it ...

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll fire them off to you :)

Hello Darrell,

Thank you for you kind offer it is most appreciated. It seems like the PM function is down at the moment and the two attempts to send you a message "failed". So they either didn't get through or you now have two PMs. :unsure:

My mailing address is,

Brian Wolfe

171 Eby Crescent

New Hamburg, ON

N3A 1Y8

Canada

Thanks again.

Regards

Brian

I'm assuming the other medal is an IGS 1854, bar Samana 1891. I can't find him on the roll on Ancestry under Boardman. The 1903 roll shows him as "Deceased".

Hi Michael,

The medal I have posted to Boardman is his only entitlement, from what I was told.

It was the other gentleman with the IGS.

That is interesting that he is shown as deceased in 1903.

Regards

Brian