News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hero of the Soviet Union

Artillerist Sgt. Sotnikov was awarded by the Hero of the Soviet Union medal in 1943 for courage in close combat with nazi tanks during Battle of Kursk. His entire crew was killed in action. Left alone on the field with a 76mm anti tank gun he destroyed four nazi tanks including one Tiger (T-6). After that he fought back an SS company infantry attack. Long live the heroes, we are grateful to them.

His Hero of the Soviet Union medal is in my possession and will be forever. I present it to you.

Scan3-2.jpg

Scan4.jpg

Edited by Mogul

Beautiful!!! What other medals and orders were presented to him during his time in service?

Sgt. Sotnikov was awarded with Order of Lenin obviously, but there is no other data available.

Impressive indeed! :cheers:

Sgt. Sotnikov was awarded with Order of Lenin obviously, but there is no other data available.

Nothing in the Hero book or Podvignaroda? Is an archival award record card of any interest?

Edited by RedMaestro

Impressive indeed! :cheers:

Nothing in the Hero book or Podvignaroda? Is an archival award record card of any interest?

I had a book about every Hero of USSR, that's where I got the story.

Very nice! It's not often that Gold stars show up today.

Podvignarod lists him for a bravery medal and OGPW 1class also. Strangly not on the warheroes.ru site but not all heroes are..

Thanks for sharing!

/Kim

This one is most likely a fake as well. If you post bigger pictures, I will say for sure. Based on what I can see, SN and suspension are off.

I bought this medal from the owner's son in Voronezh.

Edited by Mogul

If you post better pictures, i may change my mind, but base on what I see: sn stamped too deep, loop is fat, suspension is strange.

That's the best I can do. I don't think that the kid swapped the original medal, it seems ridiculous to me.

I'm going to repeat myself. The connecting ring is too fat, the serial number is stamped too deep, and the plate that holds the red fabrique is definetely a fake (прижимная пластина).

I'm going to repeat myself. The connecting ring is too fat, the serial number is stamped too deep, and the plate that holds the red fabrique is definetely a fake (прижимная пластина).

Who knows, maybe this thing got repaired once. This medal is 70 years old, a lot of things could have happened to it.