Gentleman's Military Interest Club
JapanX

Original Great East Asia War Medal

"was going through my miscellaneous Japanese collection and ran across this beautiful ..." (copyright©Richard LaTondre)

... original Great East Asia War Medal.

Hopefully Brian gonna like this one :)

...who knows perhaps some day one of the members will actually find an original....

What specifically gives this away as an original? I don't know that I'd trust one to be so unless a Japanese expert was specifically able to identify one as such. You're right about the ribbon!

I don't know that I'd trust one to be so unless a Japanese expert was specifically able to identify one as such.

Your fellow Russian expert identify this one as such :lol:

You're right about the ribbon!

Of course I am ;)

What specifically gives this away as an original?

Simply compare your post war replicas with this piece... and pretty soon you'll be an expert :whistle:

Hmmmm. There is so much variation in all of these replicas. Help me out here! What specific parts am I looking at that I need to compare? What is distinctly different? I have no doubt they are there, but what to look for? Any differences aren't jumping out at me.

There is so much variation in all of these replicas.

Not that many ...

We both know this ;)

What is distinctly different?

Try #15 and kanji style in #16 ;)

I don't know that I'd trust one to be so unless a Japanese expert was specifically able to identify one as such.

Until the arrival of specifically able Japanese expert ... :lol:

These two medals are originals too (although the photos are terrible)

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/19304-great-asian-war-medal/page__hl__+great%20+east%20+asia%20+medal#entry185985

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/48556-great-east-asia-war-medal/page__hl__%2Bgreat+%2Beast+%2Basia+%2Bmedal

Let's hope their owners didn't throw them away after discussion :lol:

Are my eyes working now? :lol:

What exactly Mr. Smile didn't like?

P.S. Talking about eyesight - the eyes and mouth of Mr. Smile are uneven :lol:

Edited by JapanX

What exactly Mr. Smile didn't like?

It would appear that the "suspension" - or whatever we want to call the part that is attached to the medallion - has a distinctly different shape than the replicas - appears to be a bit longer and more curvy. No? Mr. Smile likes it! Unless he's wrong. ;)

P.S. Talking about eyesight - the eyes and mouth of Mr. Smile are uneven :lol:

That's my professional artistic ability manifesting thanks to the extremely advanced graphic design software I am using. :lol:

It would appear that the "suspension" - or whatever we want to call the part that is attached to the medallion ...

You get that right ;)

That's my professional artistic ability manifesting thanks to the extremely advanced graphic design software I am using. :lol:

Groovy! :lol: