News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

L/16 EK2 spange.

Dave,

I'm with you on this one. These have been freely available for several years at under ?30. If you have a look at Nick Morigi's site you will find them still available today.  (Nick isn't trying to pass them off as genuine, they are sold openly as copies)

)

Gordon have you on file an actual Steinhauer spange to compare the fake to?

Dave

• 1 month later...

On the example you show Gordon, the outline of the oakleaves is visible on the reverse. I had a 1st class fake many years ago that had this feature. I've noticed that on most examples the reverse of the wreath is smooth. Is this a reliable indicator of fakes or do some genuine pieces also have visible outlines on the reverse?

Most are indeed smooth but some originals (i.e. L/13s) show some contouring to the edges of the wreath seen from the reverse.

On the example you show Gordon, the outline of the oakleaves is visible on the reverse. I had a 1st class fake many years ago that had this feature. I've noticed that on most examples the reverse of the wreath is smooth. Is this a reliable indicator of fakes or do some genuine pieces also have visible outlines on the reverse?

• 2 years later...

I finally got around to joining this here fine collecting establishment.

I have read this forum frequently for quite some time and just never got around to signing up.

I recognize many of the names here from other fine collecting forums too.

Skipping the formalities, let me also share with you my horror upon reading this (old) thread today. I guess we can never get over the gut wrenching feeling (not unlike irritable bowel syndrome) of discovering that one of our treasured Third Reich collectibles is a fake.

Chalk me up as having been deceived by the L/16 like the one Jan Arne has posted.

I guess Steinhauer & Luck are rolling in their graves.

Sigh.

Anyone have some thoughts on this fine LDO case it came in? (photos below)

I have seen other boxes very much like it, but I think we know the egg that's in it is spoiled.

Your comments are appreciated.

Bob

Edited by Bob Lusk