News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Artillerie .. Gunners in Uniform

• Replies 75
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An Unteroffizier from 1.Thüringisches Feld-Artillerie-Regiment Nr.19; feldgrau shoulder strap shows bomb and number. Anyone able to read the name?

I haven't read all of the posts yet, but in case someone hasn't already taken a stab at it, I think the name is Kurt Felzer and he is from the 2.Sächsisches Fußartillerie Rgt. Nr. 19. Notice the Saxon shaped shoulder straps.

Chip

I haven't read all of the posts yet, but in case someone hasn't already taken a stab at it, I think the name is Kurt Felzer and he is from the 2.Sächsisches Fußartillerie Rgt. Nr. 19. Notice the Saxon shaped shoulder straps.

Chip

Arrgghh... :speechless: Of course, you are right. Square shoulder straps.

Thanks for the name.

Edited by IrishGunner

"... what I believe to be an Offizier-Stellvertreter in feldgrau with a metal number 3 on shoulder strap;"

This is not an Offizierstellvertreter. They had lace on all edges of the strap except the bottom edge. This strap with the metal number and bomb is more typical of early postwar insignia. Here is a similar model simplified shoulder strap with the Offizierstellvertreter Tresse.

Chip

This is not an Offizierstellvertreter. They had lace on all edges of the strap except the bottom edge. This strap with the metal number and bomb is more typical of early postwar insignia. Here is a similar model simplified shoulder strap with the Offizierstellvertreter Tresse.

Chip

So, a normal Unteroffizier... in the post-war Reichswehr?

Hi IG!

Artillery shoulderf straps with metal numbers were those form Reserve-regiments. RFAR 3 (Stettin and Bromberg). Set up at mobilization, generally under command of 3.Res.Div.

Edited by The Prussian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi IG!

Artillery shoulder straps with metal numbers were those form Reserve-regiments. RFAR 3 (Stettin and Bromberg). Set up at mobilization, generally under command of 3.Res.Div.

It's true that reserve FAR units wore metal unit numbers, but they did not wear metal bursting shell (i.e., bomb) insignia. The bomb was the normal cloth insignia like any other enlisted man's shoulder strap. So I repeat that this piece is postwar.

Edited by Chip

Typical Reserve FAR shoulder strap (simplified M07 pattern). Notice the special "rounded" numbers are the same ones used for the collars of the Landsturm uniforms.

Edited by Chip

I thought maybe some Artillerie photos were lacking, lets try keep it "uniform study"....

He has the flaming bomb with 44 on the strap....

Sorry Chris it's not a photo , but got it already .... if you mind

best regards

Kornel

ps. try to find some photos maybe letter ( have to go thru some )

A Kanonier of the 2. Pommersches Feld-Artillerie-Regiment Nr.17 with his wife and daughter. I really like these family portraits. The little girl looks so serious...

Can anyone identify the model/type of sword he's wearing?

Wow ! Bromberg - near my home town Thorn .

... I'm always touched with some regional stuff.

best regards

Kornel

one more strap , this time related to 3. Garde Feld- Artillerie Regt.

best regards

Kornel

ps. Andreas kannst Du stolz sein , dass Du so schoene familien Andenken hast !

mfG - Kornel

Edited by Kornel R.

Here's a Bavarian Gunner ... the Swedish cuffs suggest Feld-Artillerie; however, the back of the card has the stempel for Bayr. Fussartillerie-Garnisons-Batterie Nr. 6. Quite possibe and even likely, but I just find it odd that Feld-Artillerie Gunner finds himself in a Fuss-Artillerie unit.

Regardless, it's a nice shot of the MVK3X

Hi IG!

It must be a late photo.

Every Fußart.Rgt. had an Ersatz-Bataillon. Since end of 1915, those "Garnisons-Batterien" were added, but they were called "Garnisons-Batterie beim Ers.Ntl. Fußart.Rgt.Nr. #", or "#. Garnisons-Batterie beim Ers.Btl.Fußart.Rgt.#.

Since may 1918 they recieved their own numbers. In Prussia numbers 7-28 and in Bavaria 1-6

As far as I know, the Fußart.Garnisons-Batterie 6 was under command of the Gouvernment Lüttich (Liège). Commander was Oberleutnant d.Res. Fries

Edited by The Prussian

Here is a Landwehr Unteroffizier, but his shoulder strap is unknown to me...and I couldn't find an example in my meager references; looks like a "L" ... Landwehr? Luftshiffer" Chip will know, I'm sure...

Hi IG

It´s not an L, it´s a Z. Feldartillerie-Regiment Zossen"