News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A few takouba (West African sword type) from my collection

ispn

Just as a brief introduction I'm an African arms collector who recently joined the forum. My main focus is the takouba - a sword type that was common across much of West Africa and the Sahel and is perhaps best known for being carried by the Tuareg people, although it saw use among many other groups as well.

I thought some of the other members might enjoy seeing a few items from my collection.

I thought some of the other members might enjoy seeing a few items from my collection.

I second Brian in thanking you for showing us these wonderful swords.

I have a question: although they look beautiful, to my eye they don't look very robust so my question is, how effective do you judge one of these swords would have been in combat or were they more about 'display' and ceremony?

Thanks Brian and Trooper for you kind comments. I'll add a few other pieces to the thread soon.

To answer the question of use and function, many of these were battlefield weapons. Of the swords I posted #1, 3 and 6 have European blades. Several of them quite old (#3 is medieval).

The wide examples have locally made blades and are from Nupe or Hausa states. They are usually carried by palace officials or the bodyguards of the local emir. I have some older photos showing this style in use by cavalry as well. Others I have handled are not swords with a lot of 'presence' and thinner locally made blades. But still capable of delivering a nasty cut. Certainly most swords made in the 20th century had a mainly cultural role as status symbols.

Takouba were employed in a style of swordsmanship that focused on the drawcut and typically only the last 2/3rds of the blade are sharpened. An opponent without armour would not be uncommon and those with often had quilted armour (lifidi) although maille and even iron cuirass were also used.

Still, older swords usually feature sturdy mounts comprising iron pommels and iron guards. Hilts were refreshed throughout the life of a blade, which still occurs among the Tuareg.

To answer the question of use and function ...

Thanks for your fascinating answer, ISPN. I never even realised this was a field of study but am now looking forward to seeing more of your photos to learn more!

Thanks for your fascinating answer, ISPN. I never even realised this was a field of study but am now looking forward to seeing more of your photos to learn more!

Certainly not a popular field I guess! In some ways I'm grateful for that as purchasing pieces still remains semi affordable. Attached are a few more examples, some from other cultures and classed as different sword types from takouba.

That is a fantastic colecting field indeed!!

I assume not to easy to find?

Thanks! The pieces I've posted are fairly rare, in that some of them are quite old. The type as a whole does show up at auction fairly regularly. Particularly in the UK where they were common colonial bring backs (Nigeria in the case of the takouba and Sudan for the kaskara).

Of the swords I posted #1, 3 and 6 have European blades. Several of them quite old (#3 is medieval).

How, in Heaven's name, would they have found their way this far south?? Does the medieval one have an armourer's mark, on it, as a matter of interest?

Has anyone written the definitive work on these swords - or are you still completing the final chapter? :)

How, in Heaven's name, would they have found their way this far south?? Does the medieval one have an armourer's mark, on it, as a matter of interest?

Has anyone written the definitive work on these swords - or are you still completing the final chapter? :)

Actually there was a lot of trade between the Sahel states and the Mediterranean coast. In earlier periods this consisted of gold and slaves and salt. While in later periods other items like leather from the Hausa states was heavily traded (known as Moroccan leather in Europe at the time) as well as textiles. A somewhat more bizarre item, but heavily in demand in Europe, was ostrich feathers!

Going back down the routes were a variety of goods which included blades. This trade existed during the medieval period and was the reason for some of the earlier African empires like Mali or the Songhai empire sprang up in the regions they did.

For the medieval blade of mine - hopefully it doesn't violate the forum rules if I just put a link to my website. The blade features a cross fourche and split upright cross.

There is sadly not a definite book on these swords although there are some good article ("European Blades in Tuareg Swords and Daggers" by Briggs) but oddly enough since you mention it, one is in the works. ;)

Actually there was a lot of trade between the Sahel states and the Mediterranean coast. In earlier periods this consisted of gold and slaves and salt. While in later periods other items like leather from the Hausa states was heavily traded (known as Moroccan leather in Europe at the time) as well as textiles. A somewhat more bizarre item, but heavily in demand in Europe, was ostrich feathers!

Going back down the routes were a variety of goods which included blades. This trade existed during the medieval period and was the reason for some of the earlier African empires like Mali or the Songhai empire sprang up in the regions they did.

Many thanks for this brief but revealing exposition. Once again, it is a reminder that we mustn't think in terms of rigid boundaries when discussing the medieval world - trade links were much more extensive over a wider geographic area than one might readily assume.

For the medieval blade of mine - hopefully it doesn't violate the forum rules if I just put a link to my website. The blade features a cross fourche and split upright cross.

There is sadly not a definite book on these swords although there are some good article ("European Blades in Tuareg Swords and Daggers" by Briggs) but oddly enough since you mention it, one is in the works. ;)

God speed to 'whoever' might be writing the book. I, for one, look forward to it (but the website is a good substitute in the interim).

• 2 years later...

It has been quite a while since I posted here! I thought members might enjoy seeing a spear and a few takouba I don't think I ever posted before.

The spear is an allarh, a type of all steel Tuareg lance.

The sword with brass on the guard is a 16th century Italian blade and very old mounts. The other sword a likely German blade from the 17th century and very old mounts as well.

A wonderful new year to all!

composition2.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome back Brian, I have to admit what I can offer is quite limited in scope but I am always happy to share! I had a bit of a break in focus in collecting for the last year but I will add a few additional images of the two swords shown above and a couple others as well. 

First the 16th century blade. It has the remains of an inlaid running wolf mark and a deeply stamped mark which is usually associated with the Venice armouries.composition.jpg

The second sword shows a series of astral engravings (sun, moon, stars etc.) popular in Solingen, Germany made blades from the 17th and 18th century. composition_astral_engravings.jpg

Finally this is an interesting piece showing a bit of a more recent trade link, I suspect this dates from 1900-1925 in terms of the mount, but the blade is a colonial European sabre. I am not sure of the exact pattern. composition-sabre-bade.jpg

Edited by ispn
    additional text

A very large lance head from Bornu or Northern Nigeria.WP_20150409_003.thumb.jpg.ab580b5db2de68

These were cavalry lances and you will notice the point is designed to pierce armour, while the shoulders where the blade meets the shaft are particularly large to absorb the shock of mounted use.  Shown next to a takouba to illustrate the size.

WP_20150409_007.jpgWP_20150409_008.thumb.jpg.dfc251c1c6c875comparison_01.jpg

Edited by ispn

1 hour ago, peter monahan said:

That is indeed an impressive lance head and pretty clearly - to me at least - not indigenous to North Africa.  I don't recognize the style, though what you say about the armour piercing makes sense.  Any other clues as to origins?

It is from modern day Northern Nigeria. Where the kingdoms and emirates employed cavalry for centuries, so very much indigenous! A near identical lance can be seen in "Weapons & Implements of Savage Races" by L Montague, 1921.

cameroon cavalry 1940-49 lances.png

11072567_10206056680353915_529855986_o.jpg

Edited by ispn

I stand corrected!  I wouldn't have thought, from my admittedly limited knowledge of North and West African arms and armour that such a weapon would be necessary-  I was assuming it had been developed to deal with plate armour.  Thanks for sharing those references and photos.

I'm actually trying to recall whether on the half dozen occasions I saw traditional mounted 'troops' in Nigeria they were carrying any lances and I think the anser is 'no'.  Swords, definitely, and of course the traditional Polaroids and plastic flip flop sandals to compliment the robes and head dres, but no lances that I recall. ;)

Oddly enough plate and maille was not unknown.... ;) Couple photos attached of a cuirass used in Bornu and northern Cameroon and one on a rider. I've wanted one for ages and lost an auction on one just before Christmas. The attached example is from the British museum. The photo with the rider wearing one, you can see it under his padded over garment (which on its own was quite effective armour as well!).

0c4415689bf5308ac566f8bb4eaadf4f.thumb.j

1905-cameroon-02.jpg.6298dd6add548637b51

I've noticed in Nigeria the traditional durbars seem to have had the spears disappear by the 60s. Although they seem to still be around or were until recently in Cameroon. An image from Ngaoundere attached here shows a more recent scene. Credit for the image is: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikarama/2666075674/in/album-72157606151530689/#

2666075674_762288e690_b.thumb.jpg.04a215

Generally I think the level of weaponry and armour in use by the elite of the Islamic kingdoms in the region is a surprise unless you've come across it before. Part of the fun for me with collecting in this field is dispelling the old trope of the savage with his spear and loincloth from Darkest Africa. :) 

Great photos!  Thank you again!  I had the dubious pleasure of correcting any number of 'English' essays on Usman Dan Fodio during my brief tenure as a teacher in nigeria but must confess I didn't ever get into the particulars of North and West African warfare to the extent of looking at the armour.  

Rather ethnocentric of me, especially as my first love as a historian was the Medieval period!  And when I did more African history it mostly began with the colonial period and focused on the impact of gunpowder on warfare.  Live and learn!  I now have another theme to investigate! 

I always wanted to visit northern Nigeria. Particularly Kano, Sokoto and Bida. Mind if I ask which part of the country you were in? Sadly it is not a good time to attempt travel in the area. 

It's very much a niche area of study, but I'm glad others find it of interest as well! 

Since I first started this thread one of the swords I posted before, with a medieval European blade dating to around 1350 was restored. I thought I might as well post the images to show it off properly. 

composition.jpg

16 hours ago, ispn said:

Since I first started this thread one of the swords I posted before, with a medieval European blade dating to around 1350 was restored. I thought I might as well post the images to show it off properly. 

Thanks for posting images of this interesting sword, ispn.

I note that the first quarter of the blade is a repair, meaning that the European blade comprises the last three quarters. In other words, the major part of the blade is not secured to the hilt by a tang. 

That being the case, I would think that this blade would not be robust enough to use in battle. Do you think that this sword was solely intended for ceremonial purposes?

Edited by Trooper_D

Good eye! Yes, the sword uses a new forte to mount the European blade. The forte is secured to the hilt by a tang and thus the hilt is quite secure.

The blade in turn is then attached to the forte in quite an interesting manner. The forte is a quite thick piece of steel, the end of the steel is split and the blade inserted, pins are then forge welded at each end to secure the blade. 

DSC01849.thumb.jpg.9dfd3eb849058ec45adaa

DSC01851.thumb.jpg.635254ff8aa5816901e3aDSC01828.thumb.jpg.748a8739abe2c033814d3

Oddly enough this is actually one of the sturdiest mounts I've encountered! Rock solid really without a mm of movement between the blade and the forte, this seems to have been a somewhat popular style for extending the life of blades and I've seen a number of these over the years on blades of various ages. 

In any case, as odd as the mount seems, this is very much a fighting weapon and the sword has seen repeated sharpening on the blade. Here's an overlay with a complete Medieval sword of around the same age and likely from a similar workshop which used to be in the Alexandria arsenal. 

alexandria_overlay.thumb.jpg.9e46afd4a00

Edited by ispn