News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

General of Artillery Hans Ludwig Speth, German Army

Hello All,

After a lucky find on ebay I was able to add another document to the family album that I have from General Speth. One would wonder how these documents ever get seperated from the others.

Originally I picked up Gen Speths cap, tunic, trousers and photo album which came directly from the family. The album included original pictures of Speth from his WW1 service (including his ORIGINAL WW1 service record), wedding photos, pics form the 30's and wartime pictures. Also included was a newspaper clipping talking about his Knights Cross.

The 'find' on ebay was his original recomendation for his Knights Cross from his commanding general. The holes inthe doc were an exact match for the album that I have so for some reason.. it was seperated at some time inthe past.

The first pics will be the new document and then I'll post some of the other items from the album.

Big thanks to my 'boy' Daniel K. for the translation

[attachmentid=28038]

Cheers

Mark

translation :

Telex

to Army High Command 18

Recommendation for the award of the Knights Cross

of the Iron Cross to LtGen Speth, Cdr 28th Rifle Division

a) LtGen Speth has turned a critic situation for the better in the hard fights west of Nowgorod. He built with fast collected forces a new front and used this weak forces offensive flanking against the progressing Soviet superiority, so that the decisive fight for winning time was successful and the try of both- side outflanking by the enemy was avoided.

b) In a later big defection movement to the Luga- curvation LtGen Speth led his battle group, composed from small and smallest units, in a night through a narrowness, that the withdrawing of area was longer time hided to the enemy and no personnel and just a few material losses were caused. This operation, executed with strong overtired and weakened force can just be called a masterstroke.

c) Currently, LtGen Speth holds a front of 45 kilometres with meagre, heavily weakened forces without any reserves and under irrespective weakening of lower threatened sectors against continuous infantry- and tank- attacks. Defiant of very complicated command conditions he is absolute sure in his way of giving orders, always clear and accurate in the estimation of the own and enemies situation, able in his leadership abilities, full of care for his troops, personally dauntless and brave. He is a Divisional Commander of high grades, who has an important part, that Luga is still in German hands.

Personal data:

Name: Speth first Name: Hans

born: 07.10.1897 place of birth: Rockenberg County Friedberg

Rank: LtGen Position: Cdr 28th Rifle Div since 15.01.1944

corrected into 01.12.1943

Service status: active

Peacetime unit: War Academy

Entered service: 01.07.1915

Seniority: 01.01.44 (11)

Awards: 14.03.40 bar to Iron Cross 2nd class

20.05.40 bar to Iron Cross 1st class

14.04.42 German Cross in Gold

05.08.42 East Medal

23.08.42 Krim shield

Private Adress: Berlin Charlottenburg, Sachsenplatz 8

Profession of the Father: Owner of a pharmacy

signed HERZOG

General of Artillery

and Commanding General of the 38th Army Corps

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Supreme Commander Army Head Quarter, 09.02.1944

18th Army

LtGen Speth, whose high merits as Army Commander in the 2nd and 3rd Ladoga battle are undoubted, distinguished himself by a energetic, clear and ?.. (Mark, entschu?freudig means something like; he is easy in finding decisions) leadership, personal bravery and total devotedness. The stopping of the Russian attack west of Nowgorod is to owe to his energetic Personality.

I recommend the award of the Knight Cross to this meritorious Army ? and Divisional Commander.

signed LINDEMANN

Colonel General

another.. interesting note about this pic... look close athte tunic.. it's an enlisted tunic that has had general's insignia added... if it was for sale somewhere most folks would say it's no good......here is the living proof that they did do this :P

• 3 years later...

Hello Guys,

Talking about the condecorations of Speth, someone can help me in recognize some ribbons in you ribbons bars ?

in second ribbon bar what decorations is for 2sd, 3rd and last ribbon ?

Thx in advance

Cheers

Edited by Alexandre

• 2 months later...

Hi!

The last ribbon looks like the Albanian Order of Skanderberg (under Italian occupation 1939-1943), it could be officer or commander grade...

The other two orders with rosette are very likely Rumanian or Bulgarian orders. Practically the second row are represented all foreign orders which were awarded Gen.d.Art. Speth.

Ciao,

Claudio