News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal Bar with Luftschutz Decoration

Hello to all,

I just bought this five-placer over the weekend at a small militaria show. I like the subtle aging on this bar and the Luftschutz Decoration in the center really makes it stand out. Hope you like it!

Best regards,

Tom

Holy Smoke! That is awesome little bar. Isnt the Austrian WW1 medal misplaced, or does that date it to 1938-39.

Hi Ulsterman,

I think you are correct. I have a feeling that this bar was assembled sometime between 1938 and mid-1940. The placement of the Luftschutz Decoration is correct for that time frame. After August of 1940, the WW1 Commemorative for Austria would take precedence over the Luftschutz Decoration.

Best regards,

Tom

Pretty cool. Very nice bar.

Hold on, I thought Austrian medals were made German' ones in 1939. Are you referencing the Chancellory Ordensamt decrees? Or was this a Wehrmacht regulation date that covered other organizations?

Edited by Ulsterman

Pretty cool. Very nice bar.

Hold on, I thought Austrian medals were made German' ones in 1939. Are you referencing the Chancellory Ordensamt decrees? Or was this a Wehrmacht regulation date that covered other organizations?

I realize that Austria became part of Germany in March of 1938, but I don't believe elevating the status of an Austrian commemorative medal would have taken place immediately.

I'm referencing the January 1939 regulations: Die Reihenfolge der Orden und Ehrenzeichen an der Ordensschnalle, as found in the Steinhauer & Lück catalog. There is no specific mention of the WW1 Commemorative Medal for Austria so it seems to me that, at this time, the medal was still lumped in the category of foreign orders and decorations, worn at the end of the medal bar and placed by date of award. Or, as the category states, "Ausländische Orden und Ehrenzeichen in der Reihenfolge ihrer Verleihung."

The first specific mention I see for the WW1 Commemorative Medal for Austria is in the 1940 regulations for Wehrmacht, Polizei, u. Beamtenuniform (effective August 19, 1940) and found in Doehle. The Commemorative Medal for Austria is specifically placed after the 1914-1918 Cross of Honor and before long service decorations, state awards and decorations of the NSDAP, annexation medals, etc. So I do see a possibility that this bar was assembled during the war in 1940, but more likely it was assembled before the war in 1938 or 1939 as you mentioned.

Best regards,

Tom

Edited by tyanacek

well, the regs are definitive primary sources.

I have read a few articles in the Austrian Review and am auditing a class on Austrian Nazis at the moment. The Anschluss was completed with marked efficiency....smiling, with a clenched fist behind the back.

Potential opposition was nullified at every conceivable corner swiftly by a flood of German officials of all stripes. Austrian units had German officers and men transferred into them rapidly, as did police, trains, post services, schools, etc.. Even most Austrian Nazi party officials were given 'individual ' mentors' from Germany , putting a few Austrian noses out of joint, but ensuring a very smooth 'coordination' into the Reich.

As per Hitlers' rhetoric and decrees, Austria, or Ostmark, was declared a legal entity as a Land' in 1938, just like Bavaria, Saxony, Hanover etc. , given appropriate Gauleiters etc.. Given the political tenor of the time, my guess is that this meant Austrian decorations were given the same precedential order as other ' state' medals. Obviously there was a bit of confusion, so the regs clarified in 1940.

One can imagine the conversation in Herr Ecks' medal shop.

Customer: " I see you put the Ostmark war medal as a foreign medal at the end"

medal maker: " Yes, it is appropriate"

customer: "So you disagree with the Fuehrer and believe that Ostmark is not and should not have been part of the greater Reich?"

Medal maker:"oops"....."perhaps a 50 % discount? "

Given the rarity of the Luftchutz award and when those started to be handed out to Luftschutz officials, that is a very cool bar.

Edited by Ulsterman

well, the regs are definitive primary sources.

I have read a few articles in the Austrian Review and am auditing a class on Austrian Nazis at the moment. The Anschluss was completed with marked efficiency....smiling, with a clenched fist behind the back.

Potential opposition was nullified at every conceivable corner swiftly by a flood of German officials of all stripes. Austrian units had German officers and men transferred into them rapidly, as did police, trains, post services, schools, etc.. Even most Austrian Nazi party officials were given 'individual ' mentors' from Germany , putting a few Austrian noses out of joint, but ensuring a very smooth 'coordination' into the Reich.

As per Hitlers' rhetoric and decrees, Austria, or Ostmark, was declared a legal entity as a Land' in 1938, just like Bavaria, Saxony, Hanover etc. , given appropriate Gauleiters etc.. Given the political tenor of the time, my guess is that this meant Austrian decorations were given the same precedential order as other ' state' medals. Obviously there was a bit of confusion, so the regs clarified in 1940.

One can imagine the conversation in Herr Ecks' medal shop.

Customer: " I see you put the Ostmark war medal as a foreign medal at the end"

medal maker: " Yes, it is appropriate"

customer: "So you disagree with the Fuehrer that Ostmark is not and should not have been part of the greater Reich?"

Medal maker:"oops"....."perhaps a 50 % discount? "

Given the rarity of the Luftchutz award and when those started to be handed out to Luftschutz officials, that is a very cool bar.

Thanks for all of that information, Ulsterman. I should have told the dealer that this medal bar was in violation of a Führerbefehl. Then maybe I could have gotten that 50% discount.

Best regards,

Tom

Edited by tyanacek

Heh heh.

I have found the Luftschutz medal surprisingly rare, at least in documents. While there were 500,000 Luftschutz 'officials' in 1938. (according to Littlejohn) out of a membership of @ 12 million. Littlejohn notes it was also passed out to Ordenspolezei and other officials.

I have never seen the LS award noted in any Militarpass, even Luftschutz ones.

I read just now that the first Luftschutz awards were made on April 30, 1938....a bare 6 weeks after the Anschluss.

I suspect that this medal was also suspended during wartime, but can not find the Fuehrebefehl that says this. There is a reference at the U. Michigan Library Index of. Fuehrebefehl banning various Service awards in war time, but it is a title only...no specifics.

I reckon the 'wrong' placement of the Austrian medal is a further indication of its 1939-1940 manufacture.

Very cool. I wish it was mine.

I see that in Forman's book on documents, volume 2, page #226, there is a Luftschutz Decoration Second Class document to a Büroangestellten Anna Harders in Hamburg. The document is dated 30 May 1944. (Document credited to Kay-Max Brüggemann)

Best regards,

Tom

Edited by tyanacek

Did a little more checking and found some more examples of Luftschutz Decoration documents on Helmut Weitze's website.

one to a Postamtmann in Kassel, dated 21 October 1943

one to a Zollsekretär in Hamburg, dated 30 September 1944

and one to a Oberhelferin im Flugmeldedienst in Schwerin, Erika Möller, dated 26 June 1942

So it appears that they did continue to award these during wartime.

Best regards,

Tom

Edited by tyanacek