News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

President of the Republic of Tunisia photo with order

ilja559

Ilja's image shows Bourguiba wearing first type Order of Independence insignia. Tunisia achieved independence from France as a kingdom on March 20, 1956 with Mohammed VIII Al Amin aka Lamine Bay, the ruler of Tunis, 'promoted' or transformed into king. The king created this Order on September 6, 1956. The insignia very closely resembles that of the Order of Nichan Iftikhir. Main differences include use of only red color for enamel and in the ribbon, and the word 'Independence' replacing the Bey's monogram on the central disk.

An image of Lamine Bay dated June, 1956 follows -- even as king, he wears his Legion of Honor grand cross insignia in an honored position!

100px-Lamine_Bey.jpg

In either 1958 or 1959 the ribbon design but not the colors were revised to more strongly differentiate the Order insignia. Following image shows Bourguiba wearing 2nd type Order of Independence, note ribbon format change.

220px-Bourguiba_1960.jpg

By 1968 {?}, further alterations to Order of Independence insignia replaced the central {Arabic} inscription 'Independence' with the Tunisia state coat-of-arms.

540374m.jpg

Interesting that reverse of Ilja's image identifies Bourguiba as 'regent'. Bourguiba, the architect of Tunisian independence, agitated for complete independence from France and a republican form of government from the 1920s. A consummate politician, he utilized the existing beyical structures as a means to his end, especially in the early-mid 1950s. By February-March 1956, his arrangement with the king resulted in a 'party list' type election that Bourguiba's political/social machine completely dominated [winning an estimated 89% of votes on March 25th]. Just more than a year later, on July 27, 1957, Bourguiba's government replaced both the monarchy and the status of Bey of Tunis with a republic. The king never accepted this action.

• 2 months later...

Hello Gentlemen,

The first version of the Order of Independence from Tunisia was a Nishan Iftikhar modified, with the word Istiklal on a red enamel background.

The breast star in a case, is (was ??) in the Army Museum in Alexandria in Egypt (I downloaded that picture in 2001 or 2002), this site is not active anymore, as long as I know.

Long time after I was able to buy such breast star , center is in good quality enamel, and pin bear a tunisian hallmark for silver

Diameter is 81 millimeter.

I never saw a low class badge of that type of insignia.

We know Nixon, as Vice President of Eisenhower made a visit to Tunis in late 1956 (or early 57). President François Mitterand of France, who in 1950/51 was Minister of France d'Outremer (Minister of Oversea's France), but later Interior Minister in the Pierre Mendes France Government, and he played a key role in the process that lead to Independence of Tunisia & Morocco in 1956. It is likly possible that Francois Mitterand was awarded that shape of the Order of Independence too, same for the head of the Government Pierre Mendes France. Possible that moroccan & egyptian ministers have been awarded the Order of Independence (Istiklal) Under this shape.

Emmanuel

That type of insignia is seen in various collection and is not too difficult to get.

Insignia of the 5 classes have been seen, from Grand Cordon (Classe Majeur) till lower class 4th Class (ribbon without rosette corresponding to Knight).

Here shown a 3rd Class or Officer

It is not clear exactly when, but late 1958/1959 seems correct there has been some changes in ribbon colours and shape of insignia.

The photo of Bourguibha President with white sash & 5 narrow red stripe is the Official President Portrait for Year 1960 (so the changes occured somewhen before). But the President is still clearly wearing the type of sash badge used previously.

It exist a type of insignia is much much seldom seen, we will call it 3rd Type.

Here is shown a 3rd Class (Officer, but ribbon lack the rosette....or maybe there was never a rosette). Anyway that badge is silver gilt.

I have seen ounce a silver badge (not gilded).

In an auction in 1997 there was a set (breast star & sash badge), but without sash !!!! Unfortunately no illustration, but I remember the size of the breast star : about 60 millimeters in diameter.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

We know that the said to be 3rd Type was short lived.

In 1969 the Shah of Iran came back from USA after the funeral of President Eisenhower. He made a "stop over" in Tunis.

We have a photograhy showing him and his wife the Farahdibah wearing insignia of Order of Independence 2nd Type.

From conversation & exchange with collectors in Tunis, I know that the Order of Independence was sparsingly awarded under the 2nd shape in the 1970ies.1980ies and later.

So the 2nd Type is also identical to 4th Type.

I know it seems a bit messy, but observation of State Visit Photo teach us a lot.

In the King Faiçal Mémorial in Ryadh (the King Faiçal of Saudi Arabia who was assasinated in 1975), there is a display of all his awards, incl a Coilar of Independence from Tunisia identical to the collar worn by the Shah of Iran. It's forbidden to take pictures there.

Emmanuel