News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 5 Place Mini Medal Bar - Military Cross

Hello all,

got this bar together with the tree place mini medal bar.

Payed 70€ for that... and again i hope its not to much. Im new into british medals - but im addicted to mini medal bars :D

Maybe someone can told me what i have here and if all is correct.

Greetings

Stefan

DSCI6634-1.jpg

DSCI6635-1.jpg

DSCI6636-1.jpg

DSCI6637-1.jpg

DSCI6638-1.jpg

DSCI6639-1.jpg

Thank you Chris and Paul,

im always a little feard that i payed to much. Maybe the Military cross catches my eye :D

Paul, i just loooked on Wikipedia - the last medal ist the "Special Constabulary Long Service Medal" - Established August 30 1919

"

Great War service

Special Constables who served without pay during World War I from 1914-1918 for three years, and performed at least 150 police duties were eligible to be awarded the medal. Recipients who received the medal under these conditions were entitled to a clasp to their medal denoting World War I service.

Special Constabulary

The medal may be awarded to Special Constables who are recommended by the Chief Officer of Police of the department in which they serve so long as they have served without pay for at least nine years, and willingly and competently discharged their duty as a Special Constable. Years of service during World War I from 1914 to 1918 and service during World War II from 3 September 1939 to 31 December 1945 are counted as triple.

Special Constables who complete an additional period of ten years service are eligible for a clasp to the medal, upon the recommendation of the Chief Officer of Police." from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Constabulary_Long_Service_Medal

Greetings

Stefan

Paul, it's George V on the medal. He was King from 1910 until the late 30s so it'll be either for service during WWI or the man in question served 9 years as a Special after WWI but before WWII. The lack of a 1914-1918 clasp indicates he qualified after the Armistice.

Tony

Somewere on the web i read that the special constabulary medal with king George v without crown were issued between 1931 and 1936. 

So Tony is right. 

But i dont realy unterstand what those special constabulary man are for - are they police man?

Greetings 

Stefan 

Stefan, I didn't know that and just checked. Have a look at post 15 here http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=144980 It says 1931-36 issue.

Special Constables were men who for whatever reason couldn't join the army and so became Specials, allowing regular policemen to join up and fight.

Tony

31 minutes ago, Uffz. Rohleder said:

But i dont realy unterstand what those special constabulary man are for - are they police man?

Greetings 

Stefan 

The King's letter might explain better https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31539/page/11242

I like his full title :)