News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

CRIMEAN medal with 4 bars...?

Is the attached medal possible for a man in what is termed, on the rim, "R. B."? Named to No 2278. Serjeant George Hall, R. B. in period engraving. It seems like alot of bars but I do not kow what this unit is...? Any help appreciated!

Is the attached medal possible for a man in what is termed, on the rim, "R. B."? Named to No 2278. Serjeant George Hall, R. B. in period engraving. It seems like alot of bars but I do not kow what this unit is...? Any help appreciated!

"R.B." stands for The Rifle Brigade. Both the 1st and 2nd Battalions were present. The Rifle Brigade carries battle honours for Alma, Inkerman, and Sebastopol. If I recall correctly (my copy of Gordon is at home) a number of infantry received "Balaklava" although it was primarily (apart from "the thin red line" of 93rd Highlanders) a cavalry action.

"R.B." stands for The Rifle Brigade. Both the 1st and 2nd Battalions were present. The Rifle Brigade carries battle honours for Alma, Inkerman, and Sebastopol. If I recall correctly (my copy of Gordon is at home) a number of infantry received "Balaklava" although it was primarily (apart from "the thin red line" of 93rd Highlanders) a cavalry action.

Quite so ! According to the Gordon book the Rifle Brigade can be counted among those units that received the Balaklava bar and as such the 4 bar combination is indeed possible. Great looking one and including the top suspension clasp ... Gorgeous !

• 5 weeks later...

Now that is one BEAUTIFUL medal! Do you own this?

I would think there are very, very few units that would be entitled to four bars on the campaign medal.

Also, is there any way to tell whether a Turkish Crimean campaign medal was issued to an individual or unit? Any one know the award criteria, or was simply a 'i was there' medal?

Sam.

I do own this medal, it came with some others of a similar ilk from an old collector here in New England and I saved this because it really looked to be more than just an average crimea medal, and then sort of forgot about it. Does anyone know about the value of something like this, the books I have make it more than confusing when multiple bars are concerned. Glad you all like it...I like it too!

I'd look on the DNW website to see recent sales

http://www.dnw.co.uk/dnw/medals/medalshome.htm

and ignore (TOTALLY) published price guides or what often-dubious things sell for on eBay. If your guy checks out on the rolls, this would, I think, be a very desirable medal with nice regiment and good clasps (and the after-market suspension brooch is a plus too). Clearly a broken group, but still nice.

Now that is one BEAUTIFUL medal! Do you own this?

I would think there are very, very few units that would be entitled to four bars on the campaign medal.

Also, is there any way to tell whether a Turkish Crimean campaign medal was issued to an individual or unit? Any one know the award criteria, or was simply a 'i was there' medal?

Sam.

It was an "I was there" medal. The joker is that there are three diffrent versions Turkish Crimea Medal

Many of the British medals were lost en route, so many received one of the other versions, primarily the Sardinian. Short of finding the actual medal named, it would be impossible to tell which he received (although doubtless there is some pundit who can declare that "I've never seen anything but a Sardinian to the __th Foot!")

That web site that listed past sales was great, and I shall surely use it again. Thanks! What course can I take to see if this man was entitled to this number of clasps, as rifle brigades do qualify, so its not out of the question. Thanks in adavance.

That web site that listed past sales was great, and I shall surely use it again. Thanks! What course can I take to see if this man was entitled to this number of clasps, as rifle brigades do qualify, so its not out of the question. Thanks in adavance.

You will need to find a researcher at the National Archives in England. Here's a list from the website: National Archives Researchers. You can also have the Archives do it, but the charge 15 pounds for 15 minutes.

Edited by Michael Johnson

You can also have the Archives do it, but the charge 15 pounds for 15 minutes.

They charge THAT much?! Ka-CHING - early retirement here I come . . . :P

Edited by Ed_Haynes

2278 Sgt G. Hall is confirmed on the 1st Battalion Rifle Brigade roll as entitled to the 4 clasps. No other remarks. Four clasp medals were issued to a large number of men from the battalion.

You will find Balaklava clasps to most regiments, there was a supply depot there and each regiment was asked to send a detachment. I have a 3 clasp medal to a Private in the 28th Foot (one of 23 Balaklava clasps issued to regiment)

Steve

Edited by Old Braggs

I appreciate this information very much, the idea of paying $25 every fifteen minutes for research at the British National Archives did not sound good, I ought to go into civil service, although in the US, what you get is a bureaucratic maze, and the chance to be mugged or killed in Washington DC. I will stay in New Hampshire, thank you. Where did you get this info?

Also...what does this mean, rifle brigade...is it a highland rifles unit or militia or what? Maybe I am too used to the WWI and later rigid regiment system...what unit is this, or is it just the 1st Bn. Rifle Brigade? Where in England or Scotland or ?? were they from I would like to read up about them and do not know what to search for online.

Also...what does this mean, rifle brigade...is it a highland rifles unit or militia or what? Maybe I am too used to the WWI and later rigid regiment system...what unit is this, or is it just the 1st Bn. Rifle Brigade? Where in England or Scotland or ?? were they from I would like to read up about them and do not know what to search for online.

The Rifle Brigade originated as the 95th Rifles during the Napoleonic Wars. At this point most British regiments had only one or two battalions. The 95th were taken out of the Line regiments in 1816 and re-titled "The Rifle Brigade" consisting of three battalions.

Here is a short history The Rifle Brigade