News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

BWM help

Hi all,

I obtained a British War Medal that is named to Captain T.C.DEVLIN . Unfortunately I am not able to locate him on the Medal Index Cards patch or in the medal rolls. I have a feeling that he may be from South Africa or Canada forces. I am not sure how Australia and New Zealand named their officer's medals.

However, with help from The Great War Forum members, they found out that there was one Captain T.C.Devlin in the British Army Lists, October 1912 - page 1362. Also Ancestry confirms that and shows his unit "Normal Coll CC". No idea what it is - Cadet College or something?

Does any forum member here would be able to help me on the track in respect of this officer? Also I am missing fold3 access at the moment.

If some of you who have an access would be so kind to download this page below and post it to here then that would be a great help.

Thanking you in advance,

Noor

https://www.fold3.com/search/#query=Devlin&dr_year=m,1912-1920&offset=36&w=h3fd0oVxF

'Normal College Cadet Company' would be my guess.  Over this side of the water, 'Normal School' was what we called a college where one went after Form 5 for a one yeaqr course which quailfied one to teach elementary/public school.  Very likely that they had cadet companies.

In fact, our war musuem has a new exhibit on conscription which gives particulars of 5-6 men who have appealed their call ups and asks the viewer to decide.  For the school teacher, the verdict is 'Of course he goes!'  'Somebody else [old, female, daft] can teach in his place.' is clearly implied.

I did wonder about that, and you're right.  I was suggesting that there might be similar schools in the Uk, though, not that he was Canadian.  Here they're 'Normal Schools' but I wonder if there might be 'Normal Colleges' in Oz, or SA or somewhere similar.  Or, we may be on the wrong track. :(

Noor can you post pictures of the medal naming?  I have a couple theories.  I'd say its safe to exclude the NZEF and Aussies as well.

South African is as of right now a possibility but i've got a couple others i'm looking into.

Cheers

Chris

2 hours ago, peter monahan said:

And does the abbreviation make any more sense in the SA context than it does elsewhere? :)

It does.  Teacher training colleges in SA were also called 'normal colleges' at one time.

The Normal College in Cape Town had a cadet detachment, called 'Normal College Cadet Corps', in the late 19th century.  Perhaps Devlin was a student or lecturer at the college at that time. 

Brilliant, Arthur!  I did very briefly look for 'normal colleges' in the SA context, but got distracted by a shiny object in another tread and never got back to the search. 

Now I'll have to research why they were 'normal' colleges.  Most of the elementary students I had the 'pleasure' of teaching were, if not actaully abnormal certainly verging on 'odd and unsettling'. ;)

A couple of other snippets of info :

The National Archives of SA's online inventory lists a file about Capt T.C. Devlin of the Normal College Cadet Corps being commissioned as a lieutenant in the volunteer forces in 1908.  This suggests that he was a teacher at the college.

He may have been the Thomas Charles Devlin who is listed on this page : https://www.geni.com/people/Thomas-Charles-Devlin/5127613714310116659

Update -- Thomas Charles Devlin's marriage register entry from 1900 states that he and his bride were married at the Normal College in Cape Town : https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C91M-B94Q-6?i=2832

Edited by Arthur R

• 3 months later...
    On 11/12/2017 at 09:52, peter monahan said:

Now I'll have to research why they were 'normal' colleges.  Most of the elementary students I had the 'pleasure' of teaching were, if not actaully abnormal certainly verging on 'odd and unsettling'. ;)

Would you hire a teacher who came from an "Abnormal School"?

Michael