News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French WW1 Victory Medal

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

Hello Darrell,

Here's my one. Does yours have the name A. Morlon too, was he the person who designed the French Victory medal?

Tony

Yes mine does. Yours and mine are marked with the "designer's" name "A.Morlon" in raised letters on the obverse. Paris Mint hallmark on the bottom reverse.

These are classified as the Original Issue Type. There were 2 Official TYpe and 8 Un official Types made.

Below (small I know) but Designer name on left, the Paris Mint Hallmark on the right.

• 2 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...

After the comments above, I had to take a closer look at my example to check the "fondling" aspect. Normally, my wife ignores me when I am in "gawking at medals" mode, but this time she asked me what was so interesting. Never mind.

This certainly seems to be the most common type of French Victory Medal, but I think I saw one by a different designer recently, i.e. not Morlon. The name, if I recall correctly, began with a P. Can anyone shed any light on this or other types?

Thanks in advance,

David

Guest Darrell

David ... you are correct .... see the below excerpt taken from "The Interallied Victory Medals of World War 1" by Alexander J. Laslo 2nd Edition.

There was a designer by the name of M Pautot

beer.gif

user posted image

Darrell,

Thanks for that information. I think I saw one of the Pautot marked medals offered on French eBay, but I neglected to add it to my watch list. The price was around EUR 90 before the auction ended.

I pick up Victory medals when the opportunity arises, but I sense myself moving down the slippery slope towards trying to find more. The British, French, Belgian and Italian ones are not difficult to find, but the rest seem to be more elusive. Representative examples from all (or being realistic most) of the nations would be a nice counterpoint to the Imperial awards of the various German states which seem to have crept up on me in recent years.

Cheers,

David

• 2 weeks later...