News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gentlemen,

Excuse my ongoing ignorance, but if members could supply more information on this decoration, it would be greatly appreciated. What is the difference between this award and the Elefantenorden? What were the criteria for the award being presented? How many were awarded? And finally, does anyone have a photo of someone wearing this decoration?

Vince,

My understanding of these (and that may be wrong) is that the Lion Order was awarded to men who served in Africa and the Elephant Order was given to those who served in the various colonies elsewhere. The awards were probably available to all who served there for a specified time, not just Schutztruppen or See Batallion personel. I have also seen a photo of a Lion order in bronze worn on a ribbon, I have not seen an elephant order like this. Judging from the number I see for sale, I believe far fewer of the elephant order were awarded. If memory serves they were not authorized until the 20's.

Dan Murphy

Gentlemen and especially Vince....

we had this some times before but again in short words:

ELEPHANT Order (Kolonialabzeichen) was a OFFICIAL award of the reich during the Weimar times up to ca. 1938. It could be given to all men who served in the former german colonies all over the world. You had to ask for it and you had to pay for it.... if you had colonial service in your military pass you could get one of these. It was awarded in a total number of ca. 8500 pieces and there are several variations existing of different materials.

LION Order (Kolonialauszeichnung) was a INOFFICIAL award from the veterans organizations. If you were member of a colonial veterans organization (Kriegerverein) and you had colonial service in your papers you could get one of these... there are no numbers of awards because of the inofficial thing.... 1.class breast cross given for combattant service in the colonies, 2.class ribbon award was given for merit for the colonies in germany or home service in general. It was possible to wear both classes (real warriors... :P ) but then you did not get the second award document for the non-comattant one....

I am a little short in time now but maybe I can find some pictures later for this thread...

Heiko

Heiko,

Thank you for enlightening me on this award. I had no idea one was official and one was not. That explains the elephant order having "Afrika" emblazoned on it. So, could one wear both the Lion Order 1st Class and the Elephant Order as long as they were authorized and purchased the one, plus belonged to the veterans association?

Dan Murphy

Many thanks, Heiko, for posting those great photos. Obviously, you're the "go to" guy for these things. My curiousity regarding the Loewenorden was peaked by recent acquisition of one along with some other items recently posted in a previous thread, courtesy of derGeneral.

Guest Rick Research

Notice that the last guy is wearing incorrect DOUBLE Imperial long service awards-- an XV and an XII or IX. Common error after October 1936 with the "two WEHRMACHT long service awards..." regulations.

Here is another naughty fellow's circa 1935 lapel bow with the unofficial "Lion Order" ribbon still tucked in there:

[attachmentid=42016]

he was apparently a Bavarian and muddled his home state award after the Hindenburg in confusion over Reichs-versus-local awards regulations as well.

Here's a straight on length of the ribbon, which is supposed to be hot sun framing the shoulder strap underlay colors of the three main Schutztruppen:

[attachmentid=42017]

blue for Southwest Africa, red for Cameroon, and white for East Africa