News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1914 Iron Cross

Guest baz

[attachmentid=48343][attachmentid=48344]

Hi All.

I am reading all these feeds on Iron crosses and can understand the changes over the years but Bill Garvy (motorhead) has recently listed another 1914 one. Yes mine is by a different maker WILM I think Eyesight not to good even with magnifying glass but why do my leaves, oak?, face upwards and Bills 1914 face down.

Thanks.

Baz

Edited by baz

A number of us have found that several firms used more then one core design. Some makers used several. Whether some makers outsourced parts to other makers has not been proven, but is possible. These companies dealt with the smelting of iron and silver. A fire that damaged one part of a factory could lead them to purchase the items needed to complete their allotment of crosses to be delieved each month under their contract with the government. Then as now, a violation (Say delivering 384 crosses instead of 500 that month) of a contract is not a good thing. It would not be a major violation, but is still a violation. Especially when you are dealing with the government. This is just one possible scenario that would lead to the core differences you state. It is known that J. Wagner & Sohne and Sy & Wagner used some of the same cores.

Dan Murphy

baz-

welcome to GMIC!!

you have a beautiful cross there.

remember that they tend to multiply....

for the record:

bill garvy is bill garvy. from the good old midwest.

motorhead is micha. he's from yurp.

BOTH are excellent resources for EK's and

information pertaining to them.

you did very nicely with this one!

joe

Thanks Joe and Dan for your info.

Joe not paying attention. Of course Micha started the feed and Bill replied. Sorry about that, promise I will get better! haha.

Baz

Here's the one from Yurp.....lol! Yes,indeed there are a few different cores used by "WILM".And also different stampings at the ribbon ring.i would like to show a few different variations,but unfortunately I'm in Denmark at the moment(with some working mates...).So if I will find the time(the beer here's bloody expensive) I would like to start a "WILM" thread.....

Micha

Here's the one from Yurp.....lol! Yes,indeed there are a few different cores used by "WILM".And also different stampings at the ribbon ring.i would like to show a few different variations,but unfortunately I'm in Denmark at the moment(with some working mates...).So if I will find the time(the beer here's bloody expensive) I would like to start a "WILM" thread.....

Micha

Look forward to seeing that Micha,I have a couple of WILM's...very nice cross imo :cheers: