News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi,

I have this CDV photo of an Imperial era Ulan.

The photo was taken in Stuttgart - from the look of the CDV I'd say it was likely taken round the early 1870s.

The name had been written on the back of the photo, sadly it has almost disappeared (though it looks like it could be saying "Prinz ...")

I'd like to find out the Regiment and the identity of the guy of course ; but to begin with, does anyone have an idea of the medals he is sporting ?

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thanks !

Jerome

He wears them on his right chest. Is it normal ? Or is it a "negative" effect ?

Ch.

Bonsoir Christophe,

It is not a negative effect (or the order of the medals would be terribly wrong).

Medals on the right side are actually quite often seen on photos of Ulanen.

Fact is that in full dress, Ulans had the most impressive knots at the end of their cap lines, falling from their left shoulder - those would have obscured medals worn on the left side of the chest.

My take is that it's what displaced the medals ?

But in any case, it's quite usual.

Jerome

(...)Medals on the right side are actually quite often seen on photos of Ulanen.

Fact is that in full dress, Ulans had the most impressive knots at the end of their cap lines, falling from their left shoulder - those would have obscured medals worn on the left side of the chest.

My take is that it's what displaced the medals ? (...)

J?r?me,

Many thanks. this seems quiet logical... and, here, I learnt something :jumping: .

Again, many thanks.

Ch.

I would say the medals are 1. Red eagle order with crown. 2. 1870 EK2 3. 1870-71 Kriegsdenkmunze. 4. Schaumburg-Lippe Military Merit medal with crossed sabers. He is a Hauptmann probably of the Koenigs Uhlanen Regiment (1 Hannoversches) Nr. 13. It is hard to say, but that could be white facings.

Dan Murphy

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Guest Rick Research

First is the W?rttemberg Military Merit Order, Knight. This old style with the jagged crwon and on a dark blue ribbon (remember the color spectrums shift weirdly in old photos), then EK2, then W?rttemberg Campaign Medal (probably for 1866), then the Schaumburg-Lippe Medal.

That combination should CERTAINLY be traceable... with a circa 1871 Rank List! :(

he has not received his Empire 1870/71 War Medal yet, so very soon after the war, I'd say or even late during it.

You may get a better image of the erased pencil by putting this on an ordinary xerox machine.

It certainly looks like

"Prinz (Illegible)

v. W?rttemberg" to me

I'll see if I can find him 1890+-- that is the earliest I have.

He died in 1877 so he may never have received his Prussian KDM.

He is not a prince, but a duke: Herzog Eugen von W?rttemberg, born 20 August 1846 and died 27 January 1877. His mother was Princess Mathilde zu Schaumburg-Lippe, which explains the Schaumburg-Lippe connection.

He, his wife and his EK and WMV: http://worldroots.com/brigitte/royal/wuert...eugenwuertt.jpg

Edited by Dave Danner

Thanks a lot gentlmen !

I didn't really hope for an identification, but there you go :beer:

As for the "Prinz" question - my understanding is that a son of a Duke would be titled "Prinz" until inheriting from the Dukedom (Eugen's father died in 1875) - though it may be better not to quote me on that :P

Thanks again for your help,

Jerome