News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

P38

Paul R

Here is my P38. It is a cyq mismatch. The odd thing is that there is no maker mark. Is it possible that it could be a bring back, versus a post war import?

Anyway, there are some interesting things about it. It seems to have an alloy frame. How common was this?

How common are these unusual grips?

Hello Paul,

I can not answer all of your questions but I can answer at least one. The 'O' behind the slide serial number is the Letter Block for that serial number range. It probably looks funny because of the hieght and angle of it but I have seen this before. It is just late war sloppyness on the factory workers part.

For really detailed information I would try the P38 Forum. Here is there address:

http://www.p38forum.com/

They are experts in the subject of P38's so they will be able to give you a definitive answer.

Cam

Hello

I once had one with the same grips. It was a byf 1943 whit all matching parts. I also remember to have read somewhere that only Mauser used these grips and only in 1943.

Kjell

"cyq" is the maker's mark. Sorry I don't have my references directly at hand, but that is all the marking you will find on these. It does appear to be Waffenamt marked, so it was an issued piece. Bring-back versus imported later?-- No way to tell. Unless it was marked with importers marks (not required post-war in the US) or a re-proofing (like in the UK), there is absolutely no way to tell. Several of my P-38s have those grips-- don't know what to say except that they are pretty common, perhaps were a standard replacement? I agree that the "O" after the serial number is simply part of the serial block. A good shooter piece, if it hasn't been deactivated. Doc

Paul,

Nice piece. It is a shame that the CYQs were never dated, but I would say the bottom half may be a late 1945 phosphate finished piece. Is the frame magnetic? If it really is alloy, I would say you have a rare bird there.

Dan Murphy

Thanks Dan,

It does not seem to be made of steel, as the slide is. It seems to have half the magnetic pull as the slide, when a magnet is used.