News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rare Air Force uniform

Hey All,

I need your help!! I have a rare M1949 Air Force Transitional Parade uniform. On the right breast there are 4 holes. From a picture I know that two of the holes are for pilots wings and Guard's badge. My question is...Does the ORS and OPW 2nd class go above or below the pilot's wings. :unsure:

Thanks in advance,

:beer: Doc

Gerd,

I haven't bought a better camera yet. Mine won't do close-ups. The two side-by-side holes have impressions inside the jacket. My guess is an ORS and an OPW,2nd Class. Above these is a hole centered over the two holes and there is a hole centered below the the two side-by-side hole. Are Pilot's wings worn above or below the Orders?

Guest Rick Research

I don't think they had a CLUE about following ever-changing regulations. Usually. But then you also see "highest closest to the buttons" on BOTH sides.

If that is a single central screw hole for wings, it would be the M1950 type, which remained in use into the 1960s but were brass and screwback on the earlier ones rather than pinback like the much longer M1949 wings aor the 1960s+ ones. You'll have to FIT things to see what does not CLINK together.

Put DOTS on the uniform scan where the holes are-- the lines are confusing me.

I think what you appear to be showing are too close together and probably represent TWO awards screwed in and out and in and out into different holes rather than FOUR awards. Nothing should TOUCH.

And in BOTH the photos we have shown above, the service tunic is being worn as full dress, nit the parade dress-- note the BLACK rather than gold bullion edging on the collar tabs.

As this will be on a display mannequin here at home. I'll settle for the two Orders the wings and a Guards Badge and I've almost finished the medal bar for the uniform. Unless you have other ideas, Rick...

Best,

Doc

Edited by Riley1965

Were there Guards "Air Armies" or something, or do Airforce guys with Guards badges represent AF personnel that were attached to Guards armies. Or am I just not knowledgeable as to how Guards units were put together?

• 2 months later...

Mikhail is still a work in progress. His shirt arrived from Russia today. The shirt in the picture is not the right shirt. I'll get pics with the one from Russia tomorrow and I'll get a tie tomorrow. Nack, Nice uniform!!

Edited by Riley1965