News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

India Ribbon bars

David S

And everyone has the row-by-row ribbon-by-ribbon "reading" on Daniels's bar, right?? :P

(If I makes you feel any better, I suspect most serving officiers in the Indian armed forces couldn't manage it [either], as there are some "exotic" items for them there [too]!)

1.??????? Vayu Seva Medal

2.??????? General Service Medal 1947

3.??????? Samar Seva Star 1965

4.??????? Poorvi Star

5.??????? Paschimi Star 1971

6.??????? Raksha- Medal 1965

7.??????? Sangram- Medal 1971

8.??????? Saynia Service Medal

9.??????? Videsh Seva Medal

10.???? 25th Independence Anniversary Medal 1972

11.???? 20 J. Long Service Medal

12.???? 9 J. Long Service Medal

Am I right? :P

• 11 months later...

However . . . I sense a problem with your attribution. According to the very useful database over at the Bharat Rakshak site

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Awards/d....php?srnum=7224

The absence of Master's VM from the list is quite troubling. Otherwise, I'd be inclined not to challenge your attribution as a pre-AVSM (pre-1991) cast-off ribbon bar, perhaps when Master upgraded following his AVSM.

After some very recent updates to the database - I can now vouch for the fact that the Bharat Rakshak database is like 95% accurate and above - and the VMs especially are complete upto 97-98%. (It was rather incomplete when the previous posts were made.

We are also helped by the fact that there is a profile of Air Marshal Master at this link http://armedforces.nic.in/airforce/tc/aocinc.htm which clearly mentions he was awarded only the AVSM and PVSM - thus the ribbon bar must belong to someone else - there are over 1030+ possibilities to chose from! But I am sure some sort of 'filteration' can be made. :)

After some very recent updates to the database - I can now vouch for the fact that the Bharat Rakshak database is like 95% accurate and above - and the VMs especially are complete upto 97-98%. (It was rather incomplete when the previous posts were made.

We are also helped by the fact that there is a profile of Air Marshal Master at this link http://armedforces.nic.in/airforce/tc/aocinc.htm which clearly mentions he was awarded only the AVSM and PVSM - thus the ribbon bar must belong to someone else - there are over 1030+ possibilities to chose from! But I am sure some sort of 'filteration' can be made. :)

Thanks Jaganji, and good to see you over here (too) :beer:

Hello,

Thank you for sharing all these photos. Look here. Ed, could you please post a description to the new ribbon of the Operation Vijar Star. Thanks. :)

Cheers,

Lukasz

PS:

The High Altitude Medal is one of those awards that had its ribbon designed by a committee of "experts" who never dealt with the pragmatic question of how or whether the ribbon could actually be produced, or produced economically (for a medal that more members of at least the army and air force would qualify for at some time in their careers). Apparently, this chevron ribbon seemed a sexy and evocative design on paper and no one thought about the realities until later.

What is a camel? A horse designed by a committee.

L.

Yes, the ribbon for the OP Vijay Star has been redesigned, to add a dark blue stripe (representing the navy and presumably acknowledging all those ships sailing in the high Himalayas?).

See:

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Does the Indian Forces post members of one element (Navy, Army etc) to units of another element, like the Canadian Forces do?

Yes, and most OP Vijay Star recipients were posted to navy folks stationed in Delhi (it was the navy that pressed -- guess why -- to have a "pocket" of combat elegibility extended to folks sitting in Naval HQ -- INS Delhi -- in New Delhi). Now, both the OP Vijay Star (for combat service) and the OP Vijay Medal (for "being there" have the same three stripes for the three services, though wider on the star. Sure to generate confusion, as it has already generated politics.

It is all a reflection of the fact that there is no high-level knowledgable supervision of the honours system these days.

Yes, the ribbon for the OP Vijay Star has been redesigned, to add a dark blue stripe (representing the navy and presumably acknowledging all those ships sailing in the high Himalayas?).

Ed,

Updated! Thanks for quick response. BTW, do you know when the Operation Vijay Star and Medal and Coast Guard LSM were established?

Best regards,

Lukasz

Yes, I do.

Oh?

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=13704

But, since you are a friend:

OP Vijay Star -- Announced by the Prime Minister 26 July 2001 and established by Notification No.116-Pres./01 of 20 August 2001. The ribbon was modified by Notification No.98-Pres./03 of 18 June 2003.

OP Vijay Medal -- Announced by the Prime Minister 26 July 2001 and authorized by notification No. 115-Pres./01 of 20 August 2001.

Coast Guard 20 and 9 year Service Medals - Established by No. 132-Pres/2004 of 17 November 2004.

• 5 years later...

Can any body help me? just picked up 2 groups with the Indian wound medal in they are to:

3971735 HAV. RAM CHAND, DOGRA R.(wound medal and 20 yr long service0

1-Wound Medal - 3948199 RAM SARAN, DOGRA.

2- Raksha Medal- 3948199 L-NK. RAM SARAN, DOGRA R.

3- Sainya Seva Medal clasp J&K - 3948199 L-NK. RAM SARAN, DOGRA R.L-NK.

can any one tell me where i can find out which war they were wounded in. Thanks