News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My First Ever 1870 EK

Hello

I have just taken delivery of my first ever 1870 EK. This is an 1870 EK2. It measures 42.13mm across by 42.04mm high. Three piece construction, with magnetic iron centre. The eye on the top arm is attached at the rear, but not at the front - and as far as I can tell it doesn't look like it ever was.

I posted pictures from the dealers site of this cross in an earlier thread and got thumbs up. Hopefully, with these pictures, it will still get a thumbs up !!

As usual, any comments or observations welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by DavidM

A question,

Would i be correct in saying this is a later piece? original, but not made in the 1870's?

I always think of the 1870 made crosses as having cast cores with higher sharper relief and later pieces as with WW1 crosses, having a slightly lower, rounded relief to the core details?

Ditto with the black finish, seems more WW1 like than on most 1870 I have seen which I always think of as a more matt black.

Am not an 1870 collector, but noticed this on the 1870 crosses that I have had in the past.

Here are my 1870s. The first three EK2s from left all have the very sharp core details and matt black (chemical rather than paint ?) finish and I believe to be of the period.

The NK one to extreme right however is what I have always considered a much later piece from the Jubilee or after, but still has the same sharp core and matt blackened rather than painted finish, so I don't think these features in themselves necessarily indicate early manufacture.

Of course with them being made officially from 1870 right through to 1945, exact date of manufacture on some pieces can always be a matter of conjecture, but I'd be happy to own the piece that David has.