News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Evening Gents

Was lucky enough to spot this one locally. Until I got the reverse pics from the seller, I was under the impression just the Honour Legion medal was incorrect to the bar, no big deal but.......

Then the pic of the reverse made my mind up for me. Seems to me a 1870 group has been "doctored" into something else. I have another 1866/1870 bar with a similar construction style as this one. Seems to make sense to me, but what do you gents think? Am I on the right track?

cheers

Jason

Edited by Jason

Dear Jason:

Your observations and intuition are spot on! The first bar is from an 1870-71 veteran. The 1870 EK and the 1870-71 campaign medal are easy to find (although there are decent-quality forgeries of the EK out there and good pieces are getting a bit expensive). The real mystery is WHICH SEHO medal went in the third position. That is something that we can never be certain about. It would probably be best to take the medals off and be satisfied as having a superb field ribbon bar.

Congratulations on your very fine find!

Best regards,

"SPM"

I was thinking the silver SEHO medal as well Gerd. Does anyone have a pic of this medal in an 1870 group?

Thanks gentlemen, I think I'll keep it as a large ribbon bar for the time being!

cheers

Jason

I was thinking the silver SEHO medal as well Gerd. Does anyone have a pic of this medal in an 1870 group?

Thanks gentlemen, I think I'll keep it as a large ribbon bar for the time being!

cheers

Jason

Jason,

in an 1870?s group this would have been another version of the SEHO-Medal. On an 1870?s bar there would be most probably the version with Herzog Ernst I and on the 1914 Medal bar there should be the version of Herzog Carl Eduard.

Gerd

here is a 1870 group with the silver medal and swordclasp... sorry for the poor quality. They are really hard to find.....

Hallo Heiko, :beer: hope you dont mind I cropped your picture to get a better look at the ribbon device.

Looking at the marks on the ribbon it looks like the device was in the habit of turning around, can you tell how it was fixed to the ribbon?

Real nice bar :jumping::jumping:

Kevin in Deva

Edited by Kev in Deva

here is another closeup.... the clasp was fixed with a screw through the bar, often seen on early swords or clasps.

Hallo Heiko :beer:

its a great looking ribbon device :jumping::jumping: , first I have ever seen for 1870 / 71, thanks for posting it

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Hi Jason,

I would like to point out that with regard to the Duke Ernst I medal, you would want the first coinage as Heiko shows in post #8. Beyond that, you might consider the Meiningen version as shown below.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Thanks Wild Card

The search has already begun, the campaign medal I can source locally no problem, the EK2 may take a little longer, but should present no problems in the long run, the the last one... :o ...wow, the ones I've found to suit the bar so far are out of my reach just at the moment.

Maybe when that lotto cheque arrives :P

cheers

Jason

• 3 weeks later...