News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese Awards - Order of the Golden Kite

Gordon Williamson

Unlike the Rising Sun and Sacred Treasure Orders, which were available to both civilian and military people, the Golden Kite was purely military. After WW2 Japan renounced militarism ( and now only has not Armed Forces but a "Self Defence Force") and thus no need for purely military decorations. The Golden Kite was abolished in 1947.

The award shows the legendary Golden Kite, the messenger of the Gods over a pair of crossed Samurai shields each with a sword and banner superimposed and vertically in the centre, a sheathed Halberd.

• 3 years later...

The M mintmark was only used for a certain period during the Showa era so most pieces you encounter will not have the mintmark even though they were made at the mint. Japanese sources are unclear as to exactly when the mark was used but it appears to be the during the 30s.

• 4 weeks later...

The 6th Class is a Showa era piece. I would need to see the reverse of the 5th before I make up my mind on the vintage.

Regards,

Paul

Thanks for the input. I'll shoot the back when I take the frame apart.

Best,

Hugh

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Great looking medals! I have not collected Japanese medals myself, but here are two Golden Kite sake cups (sakazuki type).

The metal one is from the first Sino-Japanese War 1894-1895. The other was given to a soldier named Minagava, and is dated on the back, 20 May 1937.

Kjell

Edited by ksg

• 4 months later...

Hi guys,

I just got this one and would love to hear some toughts from Japanise award collectors. Like I understand it can be 5th or 4th class. Am I right? Also what would be the period when this piece was made and how many Order of Golden Kite's 4th and 5th classes were awarded in total? Oh, many questions but I am just doing my first steps on this field as well.

08844941807f3f_l.jpg

Hi guys,

I just got this one and would love to hear some toughts from Japanise award collectors. Like I understand it can be 5th or 4th class. Am I right? Also what would be the period when this piece was made and how many Order of Golden Kite's 4th and 5th classes were awarded in total? Oh, many questions but I am just doing my first steps on this field as well.

08844941807f3f_l.jpg

This is a 5th class order, the 4th class had all the silver parts gilded including the reverse. Have a look at my pinned article on dating Golden Kites to fix the date on this one. It is well worn and has seen better days. It is not possible to accurately say the number awarded of the 4th or 5th class, however the 5th class is possibly more common than the 6th class. They certainly turn up more often even though they are a lot more expensive.

Regards,

Paul