News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Colonial Auxiliary LS and GC

Just got this medal in. There were only 815 Edward VII Colonial Auxiliary medals issued to aussies, and most of those probably would have been to eastern-staters (victoria, queensland, new south wales. the gits.)

This one is named to A Lindsay, a gunner in the South Australian Artillery. The medal was awarded on the 04/07/1905.

Full naming: "32 GUNNER A. LINDSAY S.A. AUS. FIELD ARTY. 4.7.05".

I'll be looking into both the Boer War and WW1 rolls, although it's not terribly likely he's in either. Reason is only NSW sent arty to South Africa, and to get this medal he needed to serve at least 20 years, which might make him too old to have gone off to WW1. I'll also be chasing down records in the SA gazettes.

Anyway, heres the pics, enjoy!

Sam.

Edited by Mossy

• 1 month later...
    • 4 weeks later...

Yay, research just came in! So, without furthur ado...

Andrew Lindsay was born on the 17th of April, 1857 in Adelaide (South australia) to Robert and Mary Lindsay. His wife was Jane Skemmer Lindsay (Nee McKinley) and he was a Presbyterian.

He enlisted in the South australian Volunteer Field Artillery, a part time militia, in 1880 to the camp at Fort Glanville. The SAVFA would later change its name to the Australian Garrison Artillery in 1901 due to federation (Boo!)

His long service medal, only entitlement, was awarded on the 8th of July, 1905 for 20 years part time service.

Here's a link to a pretty good site about Fort Glanville, lots of photos and a '360 degree tour':

http://www.communitywebs.org/FortGlanville...t_Glanville.htm

Not a bad little medal as it turns out, our Mr. Lindsay might not have seen alot of action in the empires service but still pretty nifty.

Sam.

G'day Sam,

Excellent work!! Well done!!

If you have never been to Fort Glanville - it is quite an interesting place. The highlight of the visit is when they fire the old cannons and other firearms - quite a spectacle!!

So how did you undertake this research, Sam?

cheers,

bj

I'm afraid i must, most ashamedly, admit it wasn't my doing. Rather i had Neil Smith of Mostly Unsung conduct the research. Great guy and great value.

Besides, i'm working on another project at the moment, the 40th Foot on duty in Australia in the 1820's. I was actually suprised to see just how vicious the early frontier work was, and the amount of it. And, of course, this was started by a new medal soon to arrive in my collection, but more on that soon...

Sam.

G'day Sam,

I must say that, without doubt, Neil is the best man for any research I have ever undertaken.

As far as the 40th is concerned, Neil has already undertaken some work on this unit - you might like to contact him about it if you have not already done so.

cheers,

bj

Brad,

Most of Neils work on the 40th seems to be concentrated on Eureka and remainder of their second tour in Australia during the 50's. I plan on working on their first tour, back in the 20's. Not as an excting time in a European sense perhaps, but it was a fairly momentous time in its own right. I'll be starting a seperate thread on that just upstairs in the 'Regimental history' section, hoping to get a few people here involved.

But, this is getting :off topic: , so i'll hand it back to you guys. Anyone else got a Colonial Long Service medal they'd like to show off?

Sam.