News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1914 EK1

Hi,

Nice example Micha. This type can come with roundwire or squarewire catch.

Scott & Steve, imo this is a later 30s example. There is significant flawing on the beading (12, 3 and 9 o'clock arms), indicating die-cracking. My early 39 Schinkel has the same type of flaws, therefore imo this example was produced at around the same time. The same dies would have been used for both 1914 and Schinkel 39 examples. Imo one reason that there aren't that many of this type of Schinkel around is that the dies for the frame broke beyond repair very early in WW2.

Regards

Mike

Imo one reason that there aren't that many of this type of Schinkel around is that the dies for the frame broke beyond repair very early in WW2.

Another reason would be the appearance of the LDO laws in 1941 which forbade manufacture and sale of all but the standard 44mm TR framed EKs. The makers had to conform if they wanted to stay in business selling EKs. After this time all EKs made used the same 44mm frame to streamline production, even the 1914 EK1s. That is why they are seen on occasion with the LDO frame.

Dan

Hi,

Dan, normally I'd agree that the institution of the LdO would be the time most of the Shinkels and Ubergross and brass core EK1s stopped, but regarding this particular Shinkel cross, I personally do not believe that the dies survived almost 2 years into the war (personal belief that I've held for years). I think that almost as soon as wartime produciton started to ramp up (ie not straight away in September 1939 but probably after the fall of France in 1940), the frame die failed.

Regards

Mike