News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Quasi Documented Full Cavalier Set

To all:

Currently available at a well-known NYC-area dealer. Asking price: $14,700. Details follow:

Regards,

slava1stclass

Full Cavalier of Orders of Glory set to a reconnaissance soldier.

Group includes:

1) Order of Glory 1st Class #1743.

2) Order of Glory 2nd Class #21 (!!!), "BORDER" reverse.

3) Cast copy of Order of Glory 2nd Class, worn long time by comrade Pravdenko in place of his lost 3rd Class. One of the photographs shows it distinctively on his tri-glory bar.

4) Order of Patriotic War 2nd Class #762426.

5) Order's Book, listing all his Orders of Glory, together with Order of Patriotic War 2nd Class. There is also a medal "For Bravery" listed, bu ' missing.

6) Medal "For Victory over Germany" with Certificate.

7) Medal "For Victory over Japan".

8) Medal "20 years Anniversary of Victory over Germany".

9) Medal "50 years Anniversary of Soviet Armed Forces".

10) 2 large original photos of comrade Pravdenko P.D..

11) Original Ukrainian newspaper with photo and large article about comrade Pravdenko P.D., called "Reconnaissance Wingman", by Colonel G.Andreev, Rt. (in ukrainian).

12) English translation for the above article.

13) Copy of biography of comrade Pravdenko, from the book "Full Cavaliers of Orders of Glory" (includes photo).

Excellent condition on all items!

Superb set with very rare 2nd Class Order of Glory #21 !!!

$14,700

Man, those low serial numbers!! Would love to add a Cavalier set to my collection but $14,000...YIKES!!

I remember those groups going for a LOT less, but that's an all too familiar story.

:angry:

Matthijs,

the high price is only, because the 2nd class is a Type 1 "border reverse" and i guess, thats already 5-6.000 Dollar, add maybe 5000 for the 1st class, group premium and so on... and you get close to 14.000 Dollar.

Gerd

Matthijs,

the high price is only, because the 2nd class is a Type 1 "border reverse" and i guess, thats already 5-6.000 Dollar, add maybe 5000 for the 1st class, group premium and so on... and you get close to 14.000 Dollar.

Gerd

To all:

$15,000.00 is about right for the current asking price for a Full cavalier set - variants aside. Actually the pricing on this set is a bit high as the 3rd Class is in fact a cast copy/substitute and not the recipient's original order.

As for the current market asking price for an individual/single Order of Glory 1st Class, it's more in the range of $7,000.00.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Edited by slava1stclass

About three months ago I sold a 1st Class (two digit) and 3rd Class (1st Class in 8 of 10 condition, 3rd class in poor, but real - not cast!) :cheeky: with document for $6500. I figured that's about a "reasonable" price not buying from a dealer but from a collector. I also feel it was reasonable as several collectors snubbed it because they thought it was priced too high, until a dealer bought it - and I felt he got a reasonably good deal on it. I guess pricing is all in "the eye of the beholder." :beer: I personally don't think there are too many buyers out there for single Glory 1sts for $7K or above....at least buyers in this country. :blush:

Dave

About three months ago I sold a 1st Class (two digit) and 3rd Class (1st Class in 8 of 10 condition, 3rd class in poor, but real - not cast!) :cheeky: with document for $6500. I figured that's about a "reasonable" price not buying from a dealer but from a collector. I also feel it was reasonable as several collectors snubbed it because they thought it was priced too high, until a dealer bought it - and I felt he got a reasonably good deal on it. I guess pricing is all in "the eye of the beholder." :beer: I personally don't think there are too many buyers out there for single Glory 1sts for $7K or above....at least buyers in this country. :blush:

Dave

Dave,

I'm happy to hear you were able to move one of your two two-digit Glory 1st sets. I concur with you that the price you sold it at was indeed very, very reasonable.

As for the current asking price for a Glory 1st, I would tend to believe that given its sheer rarity in numbers (when compared to a HSU for example), pricing in the 7K range (especially for a non-duplicate version) does not seem all that far off the mark.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Gentlemen,

I also think, that a Glory 1st cl is still rather moderate in market value. If you compare it to a Kutuzov 2nd or 3rd cl (Glory 1st is still more rare!), which already achieved a 7k + price range, a Glory 1st is "cheap". If you think over the fact, that for a Glory 1st cl you had to have fullfilled 3 (three) heroic deeds at the battlefield - and not in the staff of an army division -, the price tag of a Glory 1st cl seems even more moderate.

In my opinion a Glory-trio is the most honourable Soviet award for heroism at the battlefield. Even a HSU can not compete with a Glory 1st cl - maybe 3x HSU ;-)

The reason, why Suvorov, Kutuzov & Co. are in a rather high price range, might be, that the ("new rich") collector in Russia affiliates more with Red Army generals or high ranking staff officers, than with ordinary sergants or soldiers. The prices are "made" by the Russian market. I recognized that process more than 10 years ago in Vienna, were some of the (very) rich people of Russia have their residences. There was once a Kutuzov 1cl with a price tag of 6k (USD) in the window of my dealer in the city of Vienna (too expensive for me!). A few days later the Kutuzov 1cl was missing. I asked my dealer, who bought the award. He answered, that a Russian business man, who lives in Vienna, bought the piece and that the Russians are very eager to get SU-awards of generals. Just my experience and opinion.

Best regards from Vienna, Austria

(Beste Gr??e aus Wien)

Christian Zulus

And when you consider that a pre-1911 Indian Order of Merit, 1st class (unnumbered, unnamed, unattributable) is listed on a major dealer's site at ?4,750.00, and that is a pretty fair price, it does put some things in perspective?

(Hi, Christian!)

And when you consider that a pre-1911 Indian Order of Merit, 1st class (unnumbered, unnamed, unattributable) is listed on a major dealer's site at ?4,750.00, and that is a pretty fair price, it does put some things in perspective?

(Hi, Christian!)

Dear Ed,

I have almost NO knowledge about awards from the British Empire. I just now read your article about the Indian Order of Merit http://faculty.winthrop.edu/haynese/india/...ls/IOM/IOM.html and it seems to me, that a pre-1991 1st class is a rather rare and prestigious award?

It is a pity, that these awards are unattributable :-( At least the VC is named and the specific deed mentioned. The same problem occours with Nazi-awards ...

Best regards

Christian