News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,

Here are two fresh arrivals (they where tucked into a paper package) and do come directly from the veteran who did earn them both during WWII.

For me these are just beyond beautifull and my love is once again lightened up when i do see such pieces.

They are:

1) Glider pilots badge

2)Pilots badge

Both are what we often call => early Buntmetal pieces and they where awarded upon this person in early 1941 (nr. 1) and 1944 (nr. 2) !!!!!

What producent did make these baby's :beer: ?

As a bit of backgroudn, this person is over the 90's, he did do more then his duty as he was involved in Cholm (did land over there + this very glider pilots badge was on his breast ). Then he was active in different glider units and was transferred towards a pilots school in 1943. He did succesfully complete his training and was transferred firstly towards the famous KG 200 . Then he was transferred towards a unit that did fly FW 190 and had as a task : Eastern Front = try and kill Russian tanks, etc ...

During on of these flights he was shot down and burned very heavely, badge nr. 2 was in wear during that action. Besides the shown pieces nothing did survive the war.

Anyway, here they are and i love them => so now it is up towards you guys to name the producers of these :cheeky:

Cordial greetings,

ps: better pictures will be available soon (i was so happy that a lousy scan would do for now)

Hi Stijn,

A lot of history with those pieces. Knowing the recipient, an added bonus. :love:

I must say that it surprises that they were still issuing buntmetal badges as late as 1944, in the case of the pilot?s badge. It must have been his lucky day receiving one of the few left in stock at the flight school.

Tell me, how common was it for glider pilots to transfer to powered aircraft? Were such transfers due to the decreasing use of gliders in operations and the need for combat pilots?

In answer to the Q:

Glider (1) ? Juncker?

Pilot (2) ? BSW?

Hi John,

Thank you for the reply => and indeed you are correct on the producers of these baby's.

* Glider: early Buntmetal C.E.Juncker - maker marked

* Pilot: Buntmetal BSW - maker marked : in Clover leaf

The pilots badge is a interesting one (at least for me). It is made out of Buntmetal altough it is awarded at the end of 1943 - beginning 1944. That does not mean offcoarse that it was produced in those years.

What is however very striking on this particular badge that it does show clearely damage on the eagle's head (halfly chopped off) but the finisch is applyed over it. It does also show a few other damage marks that are probably due to the tooling. The eagle's head that is missing above the eye is not due to wearing damage.

The damage is not very well to see, will try to make bette rpictures of it. I do add already a scan of the reverse.

That does bring 2 questions in my mind about the BSW pilots badge:

1) was the die damaged and was this the result?

2) Or where some eagle's at first not good enough, then used anyway simply because there wher eno otehr stocks available?

About the glider pilots and their wherabouts that is quite a explanation.

We can make a distinction between:

A) the Volunteers

B) the persons who unit was disbanded at the end of 1944 and where scattered all over different units.

Lets first enlighten Category A)

Quite a few did volunteer to receive the training as pilot to become a fighter pilot (at least that was the dream and intention). In that way a few did reach indeed a fighter unit. The most of these glider pilots where put in the KG 200 and received training on a few exotic planes with the goal to become Suicide pilots (Gruppe Lange, etc ...)

A few others as this one did reach a so called "Schlachtgeschwader" and he did fly FW190 when shot down in april 1945. The most of his comrades did however not survive these exotic adventures. He did but disabled for life.

Then we have what i call category B

The former glider pilots who's units where disbanded where reused as Infantery, Falschirmj?ger, etc ... etc ... you name it. Needles to say the same can be said as above => quite a few did not survive these units.

Hoping this answered a bit your questions, offcoarse it is only partial info on the wherabouts of glider pilots, much more can be said but that would probably bore the readers :cheeky:

Cordial greetings,

Stijn,

This is not the first time that I?ve seen such a flaw on a Luftwaffe badge. I used to own a Deumer PB that had exactly the same type of manufacturing mistake, to the head of the eagle, and at the time thought it strange that such a misshapen example would have been passed as good enough to be sent on for issue. Now that I see your example, it would seem that this must have been just another problem that the makers had to put up with and that a few mistakes did indeed miss the reject bin and get into circulation. This makes this badge, apart from the history, an extremely interesting piece, from a manufacturing point of view.

Many thanks for the historical insight into the recipient and the answers to my questions, it?s much appreciated.

:cheers:

Hi John,

Thank your for the extra on the flawed birdie. the flaw does not bother me => i just love it as it is :love:

Always a pleasure to help + feel free to ask whatever is needed on the glider subject to become confortable with that specifyed area.

Cordial greetings,

Hello,

Thank you both Chris & David for the response. For me such finds are worth everything and i am more then happy that i am able to rediscover such things. :jumping:

I can only advise all collectors to specialize in a certain field wich you feel confortable with, in that order you can find some real treasures. It is offcoarse a case of luck to be able to come in contact with the veterans who actually did own these things. Sadly enough that is a ending area due to the human biology.

It is equally rewarding for me when i even become a small picture directly from a veteran with a few of my beloved glider pilots pictured and iff these can be identifyed. Monetary value is something but is not important as for the veterans these things are emotional and part of their life. That life (iff possible individual cases) is what we need to document today as in order to be able to remember and to let the story live on.

Now a bit theory : for me Faleristics is a spirit, that spirit is strongly alive with the imperial collectors for example as the happyness in identifying wearers with medalbars, listing up from the wearers of certain decorations, etc ... etc ... . In the German III Reich period that spirit is not as strong yet (several reasons) but i have seen in the past years a few very good elements who does make the difference => so keep this great forum running and rediscover history !!! ;)