News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

To all:

First time I've ever witnessed this - a dealer who assesses that PMD's condition ratings were too high! Normally, they argue in the other direction.

Regards,

slava1stclass

"Please note, that we do not agree with high condition ratings, given by Paul McDaniel to both Orders, since both of them do show signs of possible repairs on reverse. We believe that condition ratings should be at least 1 point lower, for both Orders. Early Red Banner also seems to be converted to suspension and some point, and later restored to original. Despite all that, overall condition is above average on all Orders, with superb eye appeal."

Edited by slava1stclass

What is the big deal? Grading the condition of a medal is an art, not a science, and not anywhere as exact as grading a coin. I have seen statements of condition on medals where I have disagreed. If I were moving that medal on, and especially if it where in a field where it was the custom that an accepted and lauded expert was in the business of issuing laminated paperwork on each award, and felt that contition was over-generous, I'd feel obliged to tell a potential purchaser (especially is they had never laid eyes on the item) that while Expert says it is of such-and-such condition, but I don't think it is that good, be aware. That way there are no surprises. That seems to be just simple honesty to me. Maybe I am just more anxious to think for myself and question authority than some, but I really miss what the big deal is here.

Now . . . if it were an honest eBay seller, this would be big news, but honest real dealers do exist, a few, but an endangered species for sure.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

If I were moving that medal on, and especially if it where in a field where it was the custom that an accepted and lauded expert was in the business of issuing laminated paperwork on each award, and felt that contition was over-generous, I'd feel obliged to tell a potential purchaser (especially is they had never laid eyes on the item) that while Expert says it is of such-and-such condition, but I don't think it is that good, be aware. That way there are no surprises. That seems to be just simple honesty to me. Maybe I am just more anxious to think for myself and question authority than some, but I really miss what the big deal is here.

I'm with Ed on this... I think it's just good business practice to let the purchaser know that one person's idea of condition disagrees with another. The dealer didn't say that PMD was wrong, or gave out bad certificates or whatever, he simply disagreed with the condition ranking. Paul is just as human as the rest of us and looks at a lot of awards on a regular basis. The "hard science" part of his certificates are whether an item is fake or not. The "art" (as Ed so aptly calls it) is making the condition ranking, and I sure that his opinions on condition vary as much as the condition of each piece varies. For me personally, I have had pieces with authentication certificates that have had the same condition ranking, but varied fairly significantly (in my opinion) in condition - though in most cases I think that PMDs condition rankings are conservative (which is the best side to err on!) Don't get too wrapped around the axle because someone disagrees with Paul. I just think this dealer is trying to do the "right" thing for the potential purchaser of the group.

Dave

Now . . . if it were an honest eBay seller, this would be big news, but honest real dealers do exist, a few, but an endangered species for sure.

Now on a side note to this comment... Having sold on eBay since 1995, I find it interesting people's opinions of eBay dealers - as it tends to come and go in "waves" for some reason. I have sold several hundred Soviet decorations on eBay and sometimes they sell, sometimes they don't. For some reason, many people believe that any Soviet award being sold on eBay is fake or doctored. Not sure why that is, but I do remember one guy who I was helping out as a new Soviet collector who used to send me links of my own auctions to ask "do you think this is real?" Ummm.... let's see... if I'm selling it, it probably IS real.... :speechless: Quite ironic, I think. Sorry for the rabbit trail... :beer:

Dave

I agree, nice things can still be found on ebay, even some bargains. Dave is on my favourite sellers page and there are two or three other dealers, who sell on ebay, which i could recommend for selling only original awards. You just have to look through tons of crap and overpriced common items, before you find some pearls.

Question - access to ebay?

I never managed to get access to Soviet awards at ebay, because they are in the WWII-section, and these sites are blocked, when you enter ebay from Austria or Germany. That's due to austrian and german laws, because there is also a lot of Nazi-stuff on thes sites of ebay.

Gerd, you are located in Germany: Is it for you possible to enter the WWII-section at ebay?

Best regards

Christian