News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wow is that an ugly back Dan! Here is mine, one that I thought was a good one but was determined to be a repro here on the forum (like many others I will put in this database), with the F.O. marking and it is dipped in the center. Unfortunately I did pay money for this, but under $100 luckily, still a kick in the teeth though.

Cheers,

Pat

Hi Pat,

Don't feel too bad on that one (except for the $$'s) as I could see where a newbie would indeed be fooled to a degree by that one.

The ones that should scream fake are the ones like a few I've posted with the pin base and the catch all moulded from the same material as the badge. One great clump of pot metal with a pin sticking out the back. Those shouldn't fool anyone. But that's why it's sooooo important to get references or at least study them at the library before buying anything. And nowadays at least there's the web... we didn't even have that when I started. And that would have been a huge help. Glad to see so many folks are making use of it as it's certainly a terrific tool if used properly and wisely.

But you've definitely come a long way. Hate to sound corny or anything but I'm proud of you, as I'm sure are many of our members who have been following your posts. We were downright worried about you to start with but you've learned in metes and bounds and have definitely leaped in the right direction. Plus you didn't get discouraged and give up. You stuck with it and now have a collection you can be proud of.

And as I've said there are uses for the fakes and copies... both in the way of education and in, shall we say, fooling anyone who should pay you an unannounced and unwelcome visit to relieve you of your goodies. :P

Keep up the good work. :cheers:

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

[attachmentid=56803]

Hi everyone,i'm new to the forum so i thought i'd share this one with you It had me fooled for years until i started doing some serious research.I was told it was one of the "older,better"repro's it has good detail but the reverse is the giveaway.Hope this is of help to someone,regards,Martin.

Edited by mwestley

Hi Martin,

I can definitely see where someone newer or more inexperienced could jump for this one. Nice coloration on the wreath too... definitely has that older "been there, done that" look.

Many thanks for posting this one. I love to see a variety of all these fakes from the really terrible examples that are a waste of material right on up to those which give the experts problems. It's one of the best ways to learn what's good and what's not and why... just as seeing and if possible handling a wide variety of good original examples is highly recommended to become more familiar with what to look for in good pieces. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Hi Martin,

I can definitely see where someone newer or more inexperienced could jump for this one. Nice coloration on the wreath too... definitely has that older "been there, done that" look.

Many thanks for posting this one. I love to see a variety of all these fakes from the really terrible examples that are a waste of material right on up to those which give the experts problems. It's one of the best ways to learn what's good and what's not and why... just as seeing and if possible handling a wide variety of good original examples is highly recommended to become more familiar with what to look for in good pieces. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Dan,i forgot to mention that the base metal on this badge is a "white metal" and not tombak,regards,Martin.

• 4 years later...