News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello

I was wondering what the difference was between the gilt version of the Hesse Military Medical Cross 1914 on this group and the bronze version I have seen elsewhere. Was it rank related? Also, should the cross be the other way round, with the 1914 date showing?

[attachmentid=56448]

Thanks

James

Guest Rick Research

There was only supposed to be one class. Late WW1 ones are zink.

Maybe this is simply an "improved" version like the private purchase Prussian XV Years service crosses in gold to ape the XXV ratrher than in regulation copper?

Front and back on lots of awards got mixed up. All's sewn down there, so that's how he wore it.

A very nice bar! :beer:

Hi James Clark,

This is a very nice bar with a cross that has a rather obscure significance. It is the first in a series of Hessian decorations which were very early examples of a particular art form - I want to say Art Deco; but I am quite sure that is not exactly correct. Hopefully, if wrong, another member can get it right. This, in turn, is a reflection of the Hessian royal family?s strong interest and support of the arts.

Other decorations following this particular theme would include the 1904 Arts and Science Medals, the 1904 Medals for Agriculture and Business and even the 1915 Honor Decoration for Kriegsf?rsorge. The execution on these crosses is particularly fine and delicate.

Thanks for sharing this bar,

Wild Card

nice bar!

but the hessen decoration is mounted on the wrong ribbon. the ribbon on the bar is for the hessen bravery medal.

the correct ribbon for the milit?r-sanit?tskreuz from hessen is the following one.

its a kind of redish and with silver wire on both borders (the pic shows a ribbon which is mounted on a bar, so only half of it is visible).

christian

nice bar!

but the hessen decoration is mounted on the wrong ribbon. the ribbon on the bar is for the hessen bravery medal.

the correct ribbon for the milit?r-sanit?tskreuz from hessen is the following one.

its a kind of redish and with silver wire on both borders (the pic shows a ribbon which is mounted on a bar, so only half of it is visible).

christian

Christian,

The award was issued on the ribbon of the Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen to combattants and on the ribbon you show to non-combattants.

There are also two different versions of the award document that use the relevant ribbon as the decoration framing the text.

John,

Even if it is anonymous, it is a very nice bar. I find the Hessen Milit?r-Sanit?tskreuz fascinating.

David