News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Paper Weight

Hauptmann

Hi all,

Not sure what else to call this. A desk piece... souvenir from being a guest of the Secretary of the Navy. Just couldn't resist this one when I saw it. I love the navy... specifically carriers which is where I wanted to spend my career. And believe me, the scans do not do this one justice. It looks a bit dusty but it's the way the scan kept coming out. I'm assuming due to odd reflections as this entire piece is encased in lucite.

Front view:

[attachmentid=56592]

Back view:

[attachmentid=56593]

Top view:

[attachmentid=56594]

Does anyone have similar pieces they'd be willing to share? :beer:

Dan :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Now that is an interesting piece!

:beer:

Hi Paul,

Many thanks my friend! :beer: Sorry it's taken me so long to respond but been snowed under at work, gotten pulled into various projects around here plus got sick this last week so just starting to feel a bit more like my normal self. So trying to get things caught up.

I've only seen a couple of these over time but know they do pop up on occassion. Also I've seen presentation pieces from Admirals and Generals including those given to each other from their foreign counterparts, etc. Quite a bit of that sort of thing shows up on Ebay and generally such things are well made due to the rank and/or position of those both on the giving and receiving end of such things.

Generally they come on the market when the recipient passes away and their estates are sold off. Sometimes you can make a real find.

Hello,

I spent four years floating on aircraft carriers(Carl Vinson, Nimitz and Abraham Lincoln). I was one of the morons that armed up the F-14 & F-18 on the cats before take off. Night Time was the worst with the steam and engines turning. I came close a few times of being sucked up in one of those things. The F-14 was the worst going up the belly next to those huge engines.

Nice Find....

thanks,

barry

Hello,

I spent four years floating on aircraft carriers(Carl Vinson, Nimitz and Abraham Lincoln). I was one of the morons that armed up the F-14 & F-18 on the cats before take off. Night Time was the worst with the steam and engines turning. I came close a few times of being sucked up in one of those things. The F-14 was the worst going up the belly next to those huge engines.

Nice Find....

thanks,

barry

Hi Barry,

Many thanks! :beer: And also, and most importantly... thank you for your service! :cheers: Even with the dangers involved I envy you. I was on the Lexington for a cruise and it was one of the high points of my life. I so wanted to serve as an officer in carriers. But you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans. Long story short I was involved in a hit and run during break from college and ended up with a concussion, back and neck injuries that basically put the kybosh on my career plans. All because a teen who'd just graduated decided to drink some beer and "borrow" his mom's car. But I still love the service, especially the navy and live the life vicariously through my hobby, my studies and tons of documentaries and such.

Just met up with a gentleman today who works for the local power company who was out to advise us on different heating systems. Turns out he was on the Lady Lex when I was on my cruise! He was a green shirt up on the flight deck. I showed him my pics and a few pieces I still have from my trip and we shared some memories. It was great. He's the first vet from the Lex I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

So as someone who served and lived at least some of the life I wanted... I salute you! :cheers:

Dan

Hello Dan,

Here is a funny picture while crossing the equator. I'm wearing the underwear on the left and on the right is Mr. Hunter Ellis. He is on the History Channel.

thanks,

barry

Edited by Bear

Hello Dan,

Here is a funny picture while crossing the equator. I'm wearing the underwear on the left and on the right is Mr. Hunter Ellis. He is on the History Channel.

thanks,

barry

Hi Barry,

Very cool! :jumping::jumping: That's quite a ceremony, getting to meet with King Neptune and his Royal family. :cheeky: Definitely a memory to be treasured for a lifetime.

So... did you ever end up on the other end of the stick? :P Am sure that's so much more fun than the other way around.

:beer:

That was on my first cruise to the gulf. When I did my second I was able to have some fun.

I think I'll edit the picture so it doesn't end up in the tabloids.

thanks,

barry

Hi Barry,

Hee hee... yeah, that might be wise! :beer: One never knows what those paparazzi might grab hold of. Glad you were able to be on the other end of things during your time in. So do you still have your certificate and such? As for me, I only cruised around in the Gulf of Mexico between Pensacola Florida and Corpus Christi Texas shooting off pilots in training for their carrier take offs and landings. Those poor Ensign's really got a workout I'll tell you. But so did we as we had to learn just about every department on the ship. But it was a blast and an experience I'd not trade for anything in the world. :jumping::jumping:

Guessing I'll have to scan some of my pics of that cruise and such one of these days if anyone would be intro'd in seeing them. She's a museum ship down in Corpus Christi now and I hope and pray we're able to go down and spend some time on her. My family has heard these tales for years but I want them to actually see where it all took place and why I fell in love with the old girl. :love: She's a beauty and I'm soooo glad they saved her for posterity.

Hello Dan,

I have four rolls of film I still haven't developed. I think I'll wait because I'm afraid of what might be on them. I think they were all taken in port while we were drinking. :beer: I dug out some of my stuff. :P

thanks,

barry

Edited by Bear

Hello Dan,

I have four rolls of film I still haven't developed. I think I'll wait because I'm afraid of what might be on them. I think they were all taken in port while we were drinking. :beer: I dug out some of my stuff. :P

thanks,

barry

Hi Barry,

Very cool! :jumping::jumping: Hey, any chance of a closer shot of the wings? Great looking group. Many thanks for sharing those. :beer: