News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Legion of Merit Commander

hunyadi

Hello all - here is (supposedly) a Balfour LoM Commanders grade. It is beautiful - to say the least and has the beveled edges - which has been explained to me as being the first form of the medal. However what buggs me a bit is the solid suspension ring. Some times I see this with a loose suspension ring and sometimes not - can any one give insight to the varaition and to when this was introduced? (i.e 50's, 60's, etc...) Also - do any of the more modern strikes out there bear a makers mark (G21, etc...) and if so where on the medal?

Guest Darrell

Here's mine ... supposedly from the 1970's. The ring is solid (doesn't move) but the edges are not bevelled. There are NO maker marks present.

Obv:

There are those (Jeff?) more expert than I who I hope will respond. Other than a few family and "fringe" items, I don't "do" US medals.

However: What is often forgotten is the large number of individual makers who produced US awards, rather more like French of German medals rather than like British awards. The variability of quality (from the beautiful to the laughable) and design over time and between various makers is bewildering and frustrating. It leads, as well, to the ready availability of items, especially of the lowest quality, at places like eBay or SOS.

If, a spending legislation intends, all trade in US awards is stopped, things will change.

Nevertheless, at its best, the LoM is lovely. As one of the award's functions was to be awarded to foreigners (who knew what attractive awards looked like), I guess it had to be.

Guest Darrell

As a side note .... Call of Duty shows some early awards of this grade. None of them has this bevelled edge. Not that I've noticed before, but can't recollect ever seeing one like that.

That is interesting as I have been led to believe that these were the early strikes by Balfour - perhaps other manufacturer's made variations. I know that the Legion Of Merit Legionaire and Officer grade with the enameled reverse is a specialty and those constructed of silver were also desireable. I am just trying to figure out how and when you can date these things when they dont seem to have makers marks and the only variation I can find is: beveled edge / no beveled edge solid suspension loop / free suspension loop. As one can buy these things on Ebay with the free suspension loop and the non beveled edge for about $100 it makes me wonder if they were made in 1960-70- or today?

Guest Darrell

I have a question ... are all the loops "solid"? I wonder if they can become loosened? I haven't looked at mine the closely.

I'm also not convinced this has anything to do with "older" variations. I found one being sold on a dealers site that obviously has this loop loose. It's a modern version .... :rolleyes:

Edited by Darrell

Guest Darrell

Took another look at mine closely. It appears the loop in soldered slightly to make it stationary. Not sure how much effort it would take to break this "bond" and I ain't about ready to try :shame::cheeky:

Hi Darrel -

As you have stated yours is a 1970's version (did it come in a dated box?) and your suspension loop is soldered. Mine is too. It does look like one could break it off, but that would leave some 'flash' behind I am sure - not to say that it hasn't happened. But all of the modern strikes I see - perhaps 80's - 90's all seem ot have the loose suspension ring. Perhaps this is a streamline process to avoid an extra step in production. There is a clear quality difference between your 1970's one and the recent stike.

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Darrell

I am still chomping on the bit for any more understanding - information here> Jeff?????? :unsure:

Maybe a dumb question ... but Jeff Who? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely my favorite US decoration...I have a Korea era commander as well as a Balfour I just picked up last month. Both excellent quality (compared to todays stuff)..both heavy strikes...the unmarked Korea has a less refined look to the enamel but is clearly good quality...the Balfour as we have seen just speaks for itself.

First is the Balfour...

The first picture is mine and the second is the picture from the auction (belongs to newport386 - R. Lewandowski) I have added it because it shows more of the enamel detail than mine.

Edited by Sal

...AND the Korean Era commander badge...I like this as well...but sadly it is on the auction block...

Still in all...it's a heavy strike with deep thick enamel...clearly a good quality badge...really get the impresion when you hold it...

I am still chomping on the bit for any more understanding - information here> Jeff?????? :unsure:

Based on what I see yours is a Balfour as well. The manufacturing variations in my observation (not scientific by any means) basically follow the decades...as you approach the 70s and then 80s and 90s you can see the change in quality and manufacture...

Hi Sal -

Yes the quality is there on both of these - beveled edge and the straight edge Kroean era. In an effort to narrow down things - what is the providence for the Korean era one? (box?) Still you can sure see the beautiful detail!

I don't have any provinance in terms of an awardee. I picked it up from Rich Witt...other than that I have nothing with it...it came cased with a ribbon bar and lapel pin...but I didn't take any photos of that...If I can, I'll try to get that done over the next day or so.

I am searching for a 40s-50s case for a commander and chief commander...I like these particularly in their cases...seems only fitting to house them like that vice just in a display...IMO

Hi Sal -

Yes the quality is there on both of these - beveled edge and the straight edge Kroean era. In an effort to narrow down things - what is the providence for the Korean era one? (box?) Still you can sure see the beautiful detail!

What kind of case - the blue cardboard? or the hard cae? Here is my LOM Chief Commander. Yes - the previous owner pushed the pins fo the cluchback ribbon bar into the base - but that's history. :angry:

Edited by hunyadi

That is awesome...yep...I am looking for that one for my 50s piece...and a blue leatherette for my 70s 12c marked piece...

I have seen a few around ebay and the like...but they go fast and high in price.

What type is your star? Is is period for the case? No matter really...it looks great housed like that...