News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Looking for opinions on a Bavarian lapel bow

This lapel bow is the most interesting item in a lot that will very soon be winging it's way across the Atlantic to yours truly. I wanted to throw it out there to the collective wisdom of the group for evaluation.

My main questions...

Officer or enlisted? I don't know enough about the St. Michael to know what grade indicates what.

Is the plain red ribbon likely to be a White Falcon, or the civil grade of the Luitpold Jubilee?

What sort of person would have had this sort of a combo?

Officer or enlisted? I don't know enough about the St. Michael to know what grade indicates what.

Is the plain red ribbon likely to be a White Falcon, or the civil grade of the Luitpold Jubilee?

What sort of person would have had this sort of a combo?

Great lapel bow. I would say definitely a civilian, Major-equivalent. Hessian Philipp, probably White Falcon, Ernestiner, Prussian Crown Order. No RAO4.

With White Falcons being as uncommon as they are, does this look like it might be ID-able?

Problem is, he would not show up in the usual military rolls. Maybe a Bavarian Staatshandbuch, but I don't know about these. The only chance I see at the moment is -

- looking through 1700+ pages in the DOA 1908/09. :speechless:

Guest Rick Research

I'd say the plain red was the civil Luitpold Jubilee, leaving as foreign orders an Ernestine and a plae blue in last place that could be either a W?rttemberg Friedrich or a Prussian Crown.

Most interesting to me is the OFFICIAL 1918 Wedding Jubilee Medal ribbon in 3rd place.

Definitely a civilian.

I'd say the plain red was the civil Luitpold Jubilee, leaving as foreign orders an Ernestine and a plae blue in last place that could be either a W?rttemberg Friedrich or a Prussian Crown.

Most interesting to me is the OFFICIAL 1918 Wedding Jubilee Medal ribbon in 3rd place.

Definitely a civilian.

Would that place the blue edged red ribbon as the Hessian Phillip, or as the similarly ribboned Bavarian decoration whose name completely eludes me at the moment?

Also might the placement of the 1918 Jubilee be indicative of an overly royalist bent?

Definitely a civilian.

Welcome back friend! :beer:

Chaos reigns no more! :jumping:

• 1 month later...

Most of the rest of the lot is fairly mundane. However, this lapel bow turned out to be a pleasant surprise. In the auction listing, it was turned sideways in the photo - couldn't make heads or tails of it. According to RR, it might just be traceable when the appropriate Wurttemburg rolls come out. :cool: