News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi gents,

I?ve a nice (small) bar in my collection with the following awards:

-Prussia long service medal/cross

-Ducal Saxe-Ernestine House Order

-Reuss or Waldeck (What is possible? Any suggestions?)

-House Order Lippe (Detmold or Schaumburg...both are possible!) :P

The button is made of silver and signed with Jean Godet und Sohn.

Can anybody define the time, this miniature was made?

The Centenar-Medal, a Iron Cross (1870 or 1914) and the medal for the war 1870/71 are missing.

I think, it is made between 1871 and 1897...does anybody support that?

And what does this combination say about the former owner?

If the time 1871-1897 is right, it is a rare bird...both House Order Lippe were awarded only a few times between these years!

I hope, you can help me...

Greetings

Solomon

Solomon

The Reuss War ribbon was issued from 1915 on. I would think your set was issued early war before he earned an EK2. I might also think the first ribbon was a crown order, as it would be unusual to mount a long service award in front of a war ribbon.

Regards,

Mark

By the way - Nice little bar :beer:

Solomon

The Reuss War ribbon was issued from 1915 on. I would think your set was issued early war before he earned an EK2. I might also think the first ribbon was a crown order, as it would be unusual to mount a long service award in front of a war ribbon.

Regards,

Mark

By the way - Nice little bar :beer:

The crown order was my first thought, but the dark blue color confused me.

And I compared the color with my other miniatures (crown order =light blue and Prussia long Service = dark blue).

But you are right with your argument...the long service award has to be mounted after the house orders!

Now the combination makes more sence.

You mean the war 1870/71 ? The WW I is impossible...because of the missing "lower" awards...military merit medal Lippe for example...

Greetings

Solomon

Edited by Solomon

You mean the war 1870/71 ? The WW I is impossible...because of the missing "lower" awards...military merit medal Lippe for example...

Solomon

No, 1915. Per David Danner's most excellent website: "On January 9, 1915, a "war ribbon" of yellow with red and black stripes near each edge was authorized. Prior to this, all awards, including swords awards, were on an amaranth ribbon. After this, the war ribbon was used for awards with swords and for non-swords awards which were for merit on the homefront in support of the war effort. "

Regards,

Mark

Thank you Mark, I didn?t know that...This makes the combination quite more bizarre. :speechless:

Four different states...and at least three of four awards were high awards/house orders

(Prussia, Saxony, Lippe Schaumburg or Detmold).

I?m quite confused...

Greetings

Solomon

Solomon

Here is a pure guess on my part. Probably totally wrong, but this could all be for an NCO.

Prussian Crown Medal,

Saxon Ernst Medal (either silver or gold),

Reuss Merit Medal (either silver or gold),

Lippe Orden Des Ehrenkreuzes

Again, probably all wrong, but I am sure one of the better ID's will be along shortly to positively ID them.

Regards,

Mark

I think Solomon has been mostly right, it seems (at least for me) to be a pre WWI officers "bar".

He apparently startet post 1897, but very short after this, so he still had enough time to get all this glitter pre 1914. The yellow ribbon #4 is the pre war ribbon if we talk of Waldeck, they changed to white with sowrds in WWI! :shame:

The long service is Prussian as the officer is, so he wears his military(!) long service in front of his peace time awards, even if these look better and are enemaled. If he had started pre 1897, he would also wear his Centenarmedaille in front of those, as just these two, the long service cross and the Centenarmedaille are imilitary awards!

So what we have here is, in my humble opinion, a officer's button from about 1910 to 1914, with rare an nice medals from different German states.

:speechless:

Guest Rick Research

This is a Prussian RESERVE or LANDWEHR officer's lapel bow:

As mentioned, correct precedence for a Prussian with his long service (LD2 or LD1-- and hence no 1897) first, then the "foreign" awards.

If he had been in a LIPPE regiment, it would be easier to find him, but with one-of-three Ernestines first, then a Waldeck Merit Cross/Order and one-of-two Lippes (Schaumburg- OR -Detmold) it will be tough to FIND him, but the combination is odd enough that IF he remained on Reserve/Landwehr duty and this was NOT some 55 year old EX Premierleutnant dL aD, he should be "findable"

by searching through all the reserve and Landwehr officers from all the Rank Lists from the 1890s to 1914! :speechless1:

Thank you gentlemen for your help...

Rick, I?m young...so there is much time to read through all lists :P:speechless:

If he awarded the HO from Detmold (4th class 1st div.) there are only 560 possible men :rolleyes:

Greetings

Solomon