News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Orders of the Red Star

Guest Darrell

Bill,

Those are beautiful. The serial numbers place them as 1945 issues. :jumping: Nice WWII ORS!!! :jumping:

:beer: Doc

The first one could date as early as 1942 and as late as 1945 !! The serial numbers from 1,000,000 to 1,300,000 jump all over the place.

Guest Darrell

Darrell,

According to my list from Shishkov & Muzalevsky Volume 1 1945 ORS s/n 1003749 to 2860000. Where did you get your list from?

:beer: Doc

Hey Doc ... the Green Bible ... actual awarded pieces. Examples:

1,019,351 - 01.05.45

1,140,351 - 23.08.43 - 283 Rifle Division, Artillery Scout

1,223,615 - 12.12.42 - 7 Air Army

1,347,453 - 11.05.45 - 130 Mobile Aviation Workshop Unit

1,610,627 - 06.09.43 - 122 Independent Howitzer Artillery Brigade

JUst as some examples .... they don't really follow any strick chronological order :unsure:

Edited by Darrell

Darrell & Rick,

That Shishkov list is going into the trash. My mind was telling me one thing and the list said otherwise and I went with the list instead of my head. :blush:

Bill, they are exactly right!! Yours is still definately WWII only research will show the rest of the story.

As for me, I'm going back through the Echoes of War. I am embarressed by this :blush: as the ORS is my object of study.

Regards,

A very embarrased :blush: Doc

Hey Doc ... the Green Bible ... actual awarded pieces. Examples:

1,019,351 - 01.05.45

1,140,351 - 23.08.43 - 283 Rifle Division, Artillery Scout

1,223,615 - 12.12.42 - 7 Air Army

1,347,453 - 11.05.45 - 130 Mobile Aviation Workshop Unit

1,610,627 - 06.09.43 - 122 Independent Howitzer Artillery Brigade

JUst as some examples .... they don't really follow any strick chronological order :unsure:

All:

Just remember that these are Prikaz dates, which can vary from the actual award date of the decoration by up to several DECADES. I have one particular Red Star in my collection with a 3,5XX,XXX serial number that was awarded in June 1945... EVERYTHING on the citation and award card indicates that it was awarded in 1945. However, the only tell-tale (and the truth) was the 1959 date on the award card, which shows when it was actually awarded. Thus, you can fairly confidently say that this award number falls in the 1944/45 time frame for awarding. As to when the actual Prikaz was written (or in the case of long service, the Ukaz) it's impossible to know except through research.

So Doc, don't chuck Shishov & Muzalevsky as that's still an indicator as to GENERALLY when these were actually physically AWARDED, not when the original Prikaz/Ukaz was signed.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

I have a friend whose father is in the Russian Army at present, and who is able, hopefully, to ascertain to whom these Orders were awarded. I shall advise of results, if any. . .

Not to be a wet blanket, but just so you don't get your hopes up too high.... I'm fairly certain that they won't be able to get the names. If they can, I'll be very impressed. I had a contact who had access physically in the archives (got some great pics inside the archives!) :P who couldn't do it. The fellow we all use for research can do it, but even he isn't fully certain of how they get the information to him.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...