News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Strange Imperial headgear...

Chris,

It is a common enlisted mans feldmuetze with an added visor and chinstrap. It is an affection of a few enlisted men who were envious of the NCOs visor caps. Totally unauthorized of course, especially since it involved modifications to an issue piece of headgear. I believe this is the first I have seen with a chinstrap though :beer: .

Dan

Chris,

It's an official model 1908 enlisted man's issue cap. They had chinstraps by definition. They were primarily issued to train, strecher bearer and medical troops, though I have seen pioneer and infantry examples. See Kraus's "The German Army in the First World War", pages 122-123.

Chip

jim,

I seriously doubt that this kid would go against regulantions and have his cap altered. Maybe a seasoned NCO, who had seen it all and didn't give a crap, but not this kid. It's an official pattern cap.

Chip

Fair enough Chip! I guess there's charges and court martial for things like that !! :D

What I did find really interesting and caught my eye (I forgot to mention it!!!!) is how the pockets at the bottom of his tunic seems to be stuffed with erm....some goodies or other. Is that the shape of the tunic or really something that the tunic could not hide??

Jim