News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Makers marks....

Chris,

I think you are right. We have already seen some of that with the fake Godet

marks as well as the I Wagner or J Wagner ?????? crosses. Some of the

"9th bead" style of 1870 fakes come with a variety of different makers marks.

Some are an attempt to upgrade a plain cross while most are just

outright fakes.

Edited by gregM

Hello

I agree. As has been said, some will be genuine WW1 or earlier items 'enhanced' with a fake makers mark to try and get a better price, while the out and out fakers will start producing fake EKs with equally fake markings. It's already happened with the Third Reich stuff, so it's only a matter of time until hits the Imperial stuff.

The thing is, some folks will pay more for maker marked. Definitely in TR EK's. Most of my nicest EK1's are unmarked and superb condition yet I paid no more than standard price.

Mentally rules... maker marked must be better therefore yes, it will affect Imperial too so expect to see more maker marks being faked. As already mentioned Godet and Wagner are already there and I've seen fake KO marked (which is crazy as it's one of the cheapest out there). Not forgetting the Meybauer crest has been heavily faked so expect it on an auction site EK1 near you soon!

Rich

Edited by Richard Gordon

There is a definite move in that direction, but for a faker to do this successfully, would require the right stamp on the right type of cross. Each original maker has his own characteristics. It would have to have a known core for that maker and the same beading, hinge, pin, catch and the correct type of mark in the right place. We all know that certain cores, beading, hinges, pins etc, are attributable to certain makers. A "G" or "Godet Berlin" stamp on the pin of a EK1 that does not have the Godet hinge will be spotted as a fake right off. Some other maker marks whose crosses are less well known, would probably not be suspected. However, this cross also is not perhaps a desirable one and may not sell. The fakers go for the rare pieces so they can make the most money quickly. So the wrong stamp on the wrong cross may fool a few people for a little while, but not for any length of time. All they will do is destroy the value of a number of unmarked EK1s and make some money in the short term.

Dan

Edited by Daniel Murphy

• 1 month later...

There is a definite move in that direction, but for a faker to do this successfully, would require the right stamp on the right type of cross. Each original maker has his own characteristics.

Few if any are REALLY documented.

basically they can take any unmarked EK2, stamp basically any crap on the ring... and BAM!! there is a new variation.