News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

First up is a 8 place Imperial and TR bar in the Bayern style with the following:

1. 1914 EK2

2. Bayern MMO or MVO

3. Hessen General Service

4. Sax-Meiningen

5. Hindenburg

6. Long Service?

7. Long Service?

8. Maybe peacetime Red Eagle Order

The Bayern ribbon and the Sax ribbon have a hole for a device and the LS ribbons, as best as I can tell do not.

Next up is an unusual 5 place bar that is only 10mm high. It has the follow:

1. 1914 EK2

2. Hamburg

3. Hindenburg

4. Wehrmacht LS

5. Wehrmacht LS

I have provided a close up of the eagles.

Any comments on either bar is appreciated.

Guest Rick Research

You SURE there are holes in the Bavarian and Meiningen? I don't see any on the Bavarian, and the circle there in the Meiningen looks like it might be a simple rubbing from the pre-punched hole in each space.

I don't see any holes in the long services either, which suggests to me, with the Red Eagle Order 4 or Prussian General Decoration in silver ribbon in last place (correct Third Reich precedence) that this guy was either

1) a career officer (Red Eagle 4 by 1914 and no 1897 suggests navy, as does the backing) retired as a Major after WW1 with a double wartime XXV or

2) a career NCO (Pruss GenDec) who retired as a Leutnant aD (18+ pension years) with an XV or XXV cross

who was in the RAD in the late 1930s.

No naval officer checks out (didn't think one would, from the combination) so the South German style was an army recipient.

The slim version could be either army or navy (again, the Godet-type pale gray backing isn't helpful here). That combination isn't traceable with only the Hamburrg Hanseatic from WW1 with the EK, but at 25 years in 1939, this was at least a fiull Oberst's or KJpit?n zur See's bar. :beer:

• 2 months later...

Assuming there is a hole for a missing device on the Saxe-Meiningen ribbon, you are likely looking at an officer's bar.

There was no swords device for Saxe-Meiningen's Cross/Medal for Merit in War. What is occasionally seen, however, is a crown device. I do not believe that this was authorized, but was sometimes used to distinguish the Cross for Merit in War from the Medal for Merit in War, since the former had a crown. Since the cross was an officer's award, while the medal was for enlisted personnel, the presence of such a device would make this an officer's bar.

DE_Meiningen_KVK_JF_1.jpg

Saschaw's former ribbon bar with the crown device:

post-1172-1168184620.jpg