News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pour le M?rite for Science and Arts

Hamelman states that v. Bismarck was awarded the military PlM & Oakleaves at the same time (1 September 1884) and the civil PlM for Science & Arts (20 January 1896). Of interest, his was the only instance of a simultaneous award of the order and oakleaves during the reign of Wilhelm I. Not too bad!

Anyone have a full list of his orders & decorations? I note that he wears a neck cross at the proclamation of the empire but that was before his award of the PlM. He is wearing the sash of the Black Eagle so I assume that is not also at his throat. Any ideas?

There are at least three holders of both:

Helmuth von Moltke - military class in 1839, civil class in 1874

Otto von Bismarck - military class in 1884, civil class in 1896

Hermann von Kuhl - military class in 1916, civil class in 1924

The Elder Moltke also had the Oakleaves (1871), the Grand Cross (1879) and the Crown (with diamonds) (1889) of the military class. Generalleutnant von Kuhl also received the Oakleaves in December 1916.