News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pour le M?rite for Science and Arts

Hi Darrell,

I see that you may have already found the link to my web page.

This particular piece is one of the very early ones made by the official designer and jewler J.G.Hossauer in Berlin. He is the one that made the initial tooling for this decoration.

The order is still awarded today. Only selected scientists and artsist are members of this very exclusive order.

Enjoy

Andreas

I always found it curious that Ernst Ju"nger was never a recipient of the Peace class of the order. He was a popular author in Germany. If Umberto Eco could be awarded a peace class then why not Ju"nger? I don't think there are any recipients of both the Prussian military order and the peace class, unless its someone pre 1918 I am missing.

Dan

I have only seen one, with my thesis advisor's father in India. While there were other things he had been awarded, seeing a Bharat Ratna, an Order of Merit (Civil), and a civil PLM all at once somehow made me ignore his other awards.

:o:love:

I always found it curious that Ernst Ju"nger was never a recipient of the Peace class of the order. He was a popular author in Germany. If Umberto Eco could be awarded a peace class then why not Ju"nger? I don't think there are any recipients of both the Prussian military order and the peace class, unless its someone pre 1918 I am missing.

Dan

There are at least three holders of both:

Helmuth von Moltke - military class in 1839, civil class in 1874

Otto von Bismarck - military class in 1884, civil class in 1896

Hermann von Kuhl - military class in 1916, civil class in 1924

The Elder Moltke also had the Oakleaves (1871), the Grand Cross (1879) and the Crown (with diamonds) (1889) of the military class. Generalleutnant von Kuhl also received the Oakleaves in December 1916.

Guest Darrell

Guys ... good information exchange .... this one is on a well known dealers site for a cool $25k .... substitute a :BIG GULP: here :cheeky:

Guys ... good information exchange .... this one is on a well known dealers site for a cool $25k .... substitute a :BIG GULP: here :cheeky:

From its founding in 1842 until the end of the Prussian kingdom in 1918, the Order Pour le M?rite for Sciences and Arts was awarded a total of 343 times. During the Weimar era another 30 awards were made. An early piece like this, then, would be extremely rare - far rarer than those Knight's Crosses of the Iron Cross which regularly sell for thousands - and the list of recipients includes some of the most famous names in arts and sciences.

From its founding in 1842 until the end of the Prussian kingdom in 1918, the Order Pour le M?rite for Sciences and Arts was awarded a total of 343 times. During the Weimar era another 30 awards were made. An early piece like this, then, would be extremely rare - far rarer than those Knight's Crosses of the Iron Cross which regularly sell for thousands - and the list of recipients includes some of the most famous names in arts and sciences.

And how many awards by the Federal Republic? Do you have that number, Dave?

And how many awards by the Federal Republic? Do you have that number, Dave?

From 1952 to 2005, there have been 238 awards. Kind of seems like a lot.

There are quite a few famous names on that list too, as you can see from the ones I distilled for the Wikipedia entry, but there are also a few rather obscure ones. My favorite is French mathematician Jacques L?on Tits.

Sorry to be a pedant, but the thing is actually called the Pour le Merite for Arts and Science. Here is a picture of my uncle, Professor Dr. Ludwig Finscher, who was awarded the order whilst head of the History of Music department at the University of Heidelberg. He is also a holder of the Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of Germany and is a Chevalier of the French Legion of Honor. He is considered the world's leading expert on the history of the Viennese Baroque.

I'm confused, Vince. How many planes did this relative shoot down? :lol: I hope they all know to leave their insignia to you in their wills. All my relatives left me was a dirty knapsack and a calling card for Madame Jacqueline -- rue Caillaux (English spoken). :speechless1:

Sorry to be a pedant, but the thing is actually called the Pour le Merite for Arts and Science. Here is a picture of my uncle, Professor Dr. Ludwig Finscher, who was awarded the order whilst head of the History of Music department at the University of Heidelberg. He is also a holder of the Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of Germany and is a Chevalier of the French Legion of Honor. He is considered the world's leading expert on the history of the Viennese Baroque.

The official name of the order is the Orden Pour le m?rite f?r Wissenschaften und K?nste, or "Order Pour le m?rite for Sciences and Arts."

The revised statutes of the order are here: http://www.orden-pourlemerite.de/satzung.html

LOL unfortunately, he's not an ace in the classic sense, although he is an expert on classical music. I believe you have to return the insignia of the order on the death of the holder, or am I wrong on this? I would dearly love this one for my collection, of course.

LOL unfortunately, he's not an ace in the classic sense, although he is an expert on classical music. I believe you have to return the insignia of the order on the death of the holder, or am I wrong on this? I would dearly love this one for my collection, of course.

Chapter ? 1(4) of the Statutes: Die Abzeichen sind Eigentum der Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Jedes Mitglied ist verpflichtet, daf?r Sorge zu tragen, da? nach seinem Tode sein Abzeichen unverz?glich dem Bundesministerium des Innern in Bonn zur?ckgegeben wird. "The Badge is property of the Federal Republic of Germany. Every member is obligated to take care that after his death the badge is promptly returned to the Federal Ministry of the Interior in Bonn."

I suppose they'll have to revise the statutes again to allow for the move of the Innenministerium back to Berlin.