News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ukaz or Prikaz

указ: a decree or an edict

приказ: by order or command OR an office as in a ministry etc

I guess they are to be translated within the full context of the document. Maybe someone who has come across them in actual documents can help you a bit better than I can.

Jim :cheers:

Ukaz: A decree from the Presidum of the Supreme Soviet

Prikaz: A decree (or order) from any unit below the Presidum (to include Fronts, Armies, Corps, Division, Regiments, etc....)

Ukazes were used for long service awards, as well as most awards given post-WW2.

Prikazes were normally used for non-long-service awards during WW2, and rarely before or after.

In my book, I simply listed them all as "Order" for both (as they can translate out as that) such as "Order of the Red Banner awarded by Order of the 1st Belorussian Front No. 023/N dated 24 April 1945" and "Order of the Red Banner awarded by Order of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet dated 11 November 1944".

Hope that helps!

Dave

Dave

Further to your translation would it be right to that a Prekaz is a battlefield/front award awarded by whichever competent/relevant militaryauthority was around to give that award as opposed to an Ukaz which would be issued by the Presidium during peace time when the awards could be handed out in a more organised and centralised manner.

Not sure I explain what I have in my head well enough! :speechless:

Jim

Further to your translation would it be right to that a Prekaz is a battlefield/front award awarded by whichever competent/relevant militaryauthority was around to give that award as opposed to an Ukaz which would be issued by the Presidium during peace time when the awards could be handed out in a more organised and centralised manner.

Yes and no. :P

Quite a few awards were given by Ukaz during the War, to include all the long service awards, many Lenins, most of the "commander" level awards, etc. Basically, they handled the "big" stuff, though I've seen even Military Merit medals (non-long service) awarded by Ukaz during the War (not very common though.) The Prikaz did serve to limit the number of awards going through the Supreme Soviet during the War though. I believe it was a way to get the awards approved at lower levels to lessen the paperwork burden on units as well as on the central command. Could you imagine all award recommendations being taken back on paper from the front to Moscow? Now that would have been one heck of a task! :P

For Soviet: the capture and liberation medals were awarded by Ukaz.

Dave