News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hungarian Post War Parachute Badges

Gentlemen,

I'd like to start a thread on Hungarian Communist era para badges. Even here in Hungary there is little information on these badges so please feel free to add your comments and post any badges that you may have so we can all become more informed.

The first badge I will post a picture of was called a "Master Parachutists Badge" by the vendor but Charles has heard it called the "Free Fall" badge and when you see it you will know where the name comes from. Hopefully, someone will know the correct terminology for this badge.

The badge measures 71mm from wing tip to wing tip (2 13/16 inches) 36mm high (1 3/4 inches). The number one at the bottom of the badge seems to indicate there are more levels to this particular badge, especially as the leaves and shield with the number are a seaparte piece that have been attached some how to the wings, and the gold colour may indicate there are other grades such as silver or bronze. The method of attachment is also unusual for a Hungarain badge and looks more Russian than anything else. The nut has the letters "FV." on it. There are no other markings on the badge. I suspest the badge may have been manufactured in Russia. If I had come across this badge outside of Hungary I would have attributed it to Russia. However, at the same time that I bought this para badge I bought a Hungarian Excellent Border Guard badge with the same attachment configuration including the same initials on the nut. On to pictures of the badge.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

So that you will not mistake Communist era para badges with current ones, here is a cased modern Hungarian para badge that sold on ebay a few weeks ago. This badge was introduced in the early 1990s and following that some current cloth para badges only issued for wear with the camouflage uniforms worn by the Hungarian Reconnaissance unit in Afganistan.

The next badge I only have a picture of. The picture was taken from the European Paratroopers site. It is listed there as a Hungarian Para badge, with no other info, but it is from the Communist era.

Edited by Gordon Craig

The next badge I only have a picture of. The picture was taken from the European Paratroopers site. It is listed there as a Hungarian Para badge, with no other info, but it is from the Communist era.

Basic Para Badge of 1949-1990. This type is a 1970's to 80's model as it is cold enamel. Earlier models came in hot enamel and the one as seen on a 1950's Paratrooper tunic that I failed to buy when I should have :banger: Had a blue felt backing.

Also the current badges that Gordon posted are for the "Master" grade. Accoring to the individual who wore this current uniform below these are given only to 1) professional paratoopers (he was one) 2) passed a course that led to free fall jumps, a course that he was not able to complete because of an injury during jump training. To get a grade of this type it requires somewhere around 20 jumps in a special program. The owner of the tunic did have 36 jumps under his belt with a dozen civilain jumps - but had to wait to get into the program for these badges, so all he has to his credit is the jump wings. Like everything in this world - its a racket!

also notice on this set of BDU's - they have zipper pockets and hidden snap buttons. Only from about 1998-2000 were these tunics issued, and only issued to the paratrooper regiments. Later the MOD determined that the tunices were too expensive and swithced back to button "catch on the jump door" models. This set is a 1999 manufacture date. Notice also the SSI for the 34 PIR of Szolnok. Currently the unit is still in Afghanistan (spelling??) :beer: To those Magyars looking for the bad guys

Edited by hunyadi

These next three badges are listed as being from the 1970s in Bragg and Turner's book "Parachute Badges & Insignia of the World". The photos are from a recent ebay auction. Again, I don't have any info on the badges accept that they do exist. This style of badge was produced for many different military trades. They have a hole below the leaves and the numerals are attached there by a nut and screw arrangement.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

• 4 weeks later...

Gents,

Another update on my previous posts. The para badge with the figure of a paratrooper in free fall is the Free Fall badge from the Communist era and as Charles has indicated in his posts all para qualifications led to this badge but I do not know what the criteria was to be awarded this badge.

I now own a Basic Para Badge from the Communist era and can post pictures. On the view of the rear of the badge you will see two hooks. Small semicircular disks were hung from these hooks to indicate the total number of jumps in increments of ten. There are also badges like this one with the numerals indicating the number of jumps shown on the badge at the bottom where the two sets of leaves come together. There also similar badges with scrolls underneath, but a part of the badge, bearing the words "OKTATO"-INSTRUCTOR; and "MESTERUGRO" (I've left out the accents in this word) which literally translates as Master Jumper.

• 16 years later...

I would like to share a related article that I found earlier. Although I am not proficient in Hungarian, I am still very interested in the awards from the President Tildy or Rákosi regime.

屏幕截图 2023-11-13 130941.jpg

屏幕截图 2023-11-13 131009.jpg

屏幕截图 2023-11-13 131025.jpg

屏幕截图 2023-11-13 131036.jpg

屏幕截图 2023-11-13 131047.jpg

At the same time, I also have a question. I have not found any information about this parachute badges. But I found a picture of the wearer. I hope I can find the answer here.

Sincerely

Steve

rakosi-korszak-repulos-katona-foto-mellkasan-jelveny-565c_1_big.jpg

下载 (3).png

下载.png