News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Captured Spanish Treasure

The British minted silver crowns from captured Spanish silver, as they had done after the battle of Vigo Bay, the English triumphantly celebrated their capture of the Spanish treasure ships in the War of Austrian Succession by turning some of the booty into their own currency. The British melted down the captured Spanish pesos, which the were from the mint in Lima, and reminted them into English coins, marked Lima to commemorate the victory.

(George II - 1728 to 1758 - Some coins of 1745 and 1746 have LIMA below the bust to indicate that they were made from silver captured by Admiral George Anson in June 1743.)

• 2 weeks later...

The Lima Half Crown of George II of England Treasure Seized by Admiral Anson from Spanish Galleon During his Circumnavigation of the Globe, 1740-1744. The story behind this coinage is one of the most thrilling in sea history. The bullion {gold & silver} from which the "Lima" coins were struck was captured from the Spanish by Commodore Anson in one of the toughest cruises on record. The silver treasure seized by {immediately promoted to}, Admiral Anson was made into coin which had the word LIMA below the King's bust to celebrate the expedition's successful harassment of the Spanish colonies in the New World. The "Centurion", {Rear Admiral Anson's Ship} returned to England with a handful of hardy mariners after one of the toughest and most exciting voyages in the history of the sea. And he also brought back booty amounting to about $6,000,000 in bullion captured from the Spaniards. Anson returned from his famous three year cruise in 1744, in the course of which he raided the coast of Peru and had taken several rich prizes. No better name could have been selected than LIMA the chief town on that part of the Pacific Coast of America. The appearance of the word LIMA under the bust of George II {1727-1760} occur on coins dated 1745 and 1746 only. England, Shilling, George II, 1745, LIMA, The contents of this piece is rich in silver and history!

Hi all,

Just wondered what examples of some of these might run? I know it probably can vary by dates and definitely by condition but just a rough idea if possible.

Thanks, :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Good question Dan, I`ve seen Lima half crowns for between ?15 & ?40. Couldn`t say for full crowns, as I`ve never seen any for sale. The Vigo type again, I`ve only ever seen a half crown and that was for nearly ?300 if I recall correctly! Hope this helps.

Gordon.

Good question Dan, I`ve seen Lima half crowns for between ?15 & ?40. Couldn`t say for full crowns, as I`ve never seen any for sale. The Vigo type again, I`ve only ever seen a half crown and that was for nearly ?300 if I recall correctly! Hope this helps.

Gordon.

Hi Gordon,

Many thanks! :beer: Might be able to afford one of the half crowns in that range... at least down the road (knock on wood) but methinks the others will be a bit out of my range. Of course one never knows what might crawl out of the woodwork some day. :rolleyes:

Merry Christmas! :cheers:

Dan

Guest WAR LORD

The quanty of silver and gold was very substancial. At the time the treasure was noted of ?500,000 specie brought back by Anson on his return in 1744. This was struck into,

Five - Guineas. curent value F - ?1000.00 VF - ?2750.00 EF - ?6500.00

One - Guineas. curent value F - ?650.00 VF - ?1750.00 EF - ?4000.00

Half - Guineas. curent value F - ?500.00 VF - ?1750.00 EF - ?3750.00

Crown curent value F - ?100.00 VF - ?350.00 EF - ?850.00

Half - Crown . curent value F - ?35.00 VF - ?100.00 EF - ?350.00

Shilling.curent value F - ?15.00 VF - ?55.00 EF ?- 225.00

Sixpence. curent value F - ?15.00 VF - ?50.00 EF ?110.00 .

Possibly as interesting as these pieces are those that came latter. On the accession of George III there were scarcely any crown pieces in the Country, half-crowns were much impaired, and shillings were estimated to have lost a sixth and sixpences a quater of their original weight. It is important to remember at these times, the weight of the coin represented its value. Hardly any silver was coined. Various experiments were tried. Spanish coins captured by the Navy and Privaters were stamped with the goldsmiths' hall-mark were circulated in 1797, the dollar being current at 4 shillings and nine pence which drew the cynical gib of "two king's heads not worth a crown. This being an illusion to the fact that both King George and Charles IIII of Spain were mad.

The quanty of silver and gold was very substancial. At the time the treasure was noted of ?500,000 specie brought back by Anson on his return in 1744. This was struck into,

Five - Guineas. curent value F - ?1000.00 VF - ?2750.00 EF - ?6500.00

One - Guineas. curent value F - ?650.00 VF - ?1750.00 EF - ?4000.00

Half - Guineas. curent value F - ?500.00 VF - ?1750.00 EF - ?3750.00

Crown curent value F - ?100.00 VF - ?350.00 EF - ?850.00

Half - Crown . curent value F - ?35.00 VF - ?100.00 EF - ?350.00

Shilling.curent value F - ?15.00 VF - ?55.00 EF ?- 225.00

Sixpence. curent value F - ?15.00 VF - ?50.00 EF ?110.00 .

Possibly as interesting as these pieces are those that came latter. On the accession of George III there were scarcely any crown pieces in the Country, half-crowns were much impaired, and shillings were estimated to have lost a sixth and sixpences a quater of their original weight. It is important to remember at these times, the weight of the coin represented its value. Hardly any silver was coined. Various experiments were tried. Spanish coins captured by the Navy and Privaters were stamped with the goldsmiths' hall-mark were circulated in 1797, the dollar being current at 4 shillings and nine pence which drew the cynical gib of "two king's heads not worth a crown. This being an illusion to the fact that both King George and Charles IIII of Spain were mad.

Many thanks Warlord, thats really interesting :cheers: !!!!!!!!

I have seen pictures of the coins, with goldsmiths markings you mentioned, again very interesting. Thanks for sharing this with us.