News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

India - Pashchimi Star

Christian L

1- The rank GNR = Gunner.

2- The ribbon is wrong wrong wrong. See: http://faculty.winthrop.edu/haynese/india/medals/PaS71.html (let me know if you need some)

3- What else you want to know? To quote (adapted) from a forthcoming book:

Awarded for combat service in the western theatre during the 1971 Indo-Pakistani conflict.

Established: By No.3-Pres./73 of 17 January 1973. Amended by No. 46 Pres./73 of 12 Sep 1973 and No. 69-Pres./81 of 17 Nov 1981.

General Appearance: A five-pointed 40-mm bright bronze star. Recently, six-pointed tailors? copies of this star have been noted; these are completely unofficial contrivances.

Obverse: In the domed circular centre, the State emblem and motto with a 2 mm wide surrounding band containing the legend ?PASCHIMI STAR".

Reverse: The naming details are impressed in the centre of the plain reverse.

Ribbon: 31 mm, medium pink (officially described as ?clarot? [sic, claret]) with three 2 mm white central stripes.

Suspension: Suspended by a ring.

Naming: Usually named on the reverse.

Miniature: Miniatures have been issued.

Background: Awarded to all ranks of the Indian armed forces, various police forces, and civilians employed in support of the armed forces during the 1971 Indo-Pakistani conflict. The Paschimi Star was awarded to those who served in the western theatre of war for one day in a specified battle zone (in Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab, Rajasthan, Gujarat, and the Arabian Sea between 3 December and 16 December 1971) or for ten days in a specified qualifying area (25 March 1971-25 March 1972 in particular areas of Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab, Rajasthan, Gujarat, and specified airfields and ports), or who carried out one operational sortie or three flying hours in the zones and periods specified. In 1981 eligibility of the award was extended to include personnel of India?s official intelligence agency, the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW), as well as organisations under the Directorate General of Security, such as the SSB, ARC and SFF.

This star could not be awarded alone and recipients were also awarded the Sangram Medal.

1- The rank GNR = Gunner.

2- The ribbon is wrong wrong wrong. See: http://faculty.winthrop.edu/haynese/india/medals/PaS71.html (let me know if you need some)

3- What else you want to know? To quote (adapted) from a forthcoming book:

1971... the year I was born! Most likely, the named individual is still alive? I love named items!

thanks very much for all the info ed!

thats more info that i would have thought to get!

i sadly have only the star without the sangram medal, but changed the ribbon to a proper one (like shown on your website).

is there a possibility to trace them down similar to british medals?

thanks again christian

ps: put me to the list of those who want to get a copy of the book :beer:

is there a possibility to trace them down similar to british medals?

Right now, research options for individuals are limited (except for officers and JCOs). It is hoped that, within a couple of years, whatever records have survived the working (?) bureaucracy of the Ministry of Defence will have been centralised in protective hands.

For regiments/battalions, there are more research options (what was this guy's UNIT up to?). But, being artillery, little joy here.

I will check to see if, by chance, he was KIA.

• 4 weeks later...