News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My HSU arrived today.

COLONEL FROLOV, MIKHAIL ALEXEEVITCH

Article from the Heroes Encyclopedia ("Shturmovik" pilot, 98 combat sorties with 3 recorded kills and lots of ground targets destroyed, HSU received on August 18, 1945). From the limited information we were able to find on the Russian Internet it looks like after the war he became a test pilot, got injured in a crash and had a surgery performed on his spine, but got back to flying despite all odds, and had at least a couple of more brushes with death. Apparently he was test flying SU-24 and MiG-29. Looks like this part of his life is still partially classified.

My HSU arrived today.

COLONEL FROLOV, MIKHAIL ALEXEEVITCH

Article from the Heroes Encyclopedia ("Shturmovik" pilot, 98 combat sorties with 3 recorded kills and lots of ground targets destroyed, HSU received on August 18, 1945). From the limited information we were able to find on the Russian Internet it looks like after the war he became a test pilot, got injured in a crash and had a surgery performed on his spine, but got back to flying despite all odds, and had at least a couple of more brushes with death. Apparently he was test flying SU-24 and MiG-29. Looks like this part of his life is still partially classified.

Edited by rboomsma

Can someone tell me what the serial numbers 54928, 5768 are for as they are missing from the group?

That's his Lenin (54928) and the Homeland 3rd (5768) that are missing from the group. The fact that his Lenin was missing was what killed it for me when a dealer offered it back in about 2001. It sure is a neat group though!!!

Dave

Dear Ron,

great group of a top-gun pilot :beer:

Can someone tell me what the serial numbers 54928, 5768 are for as they are missing from the group?

54928 = missing Lenin

5768 = missing Motherland 3cl (very low s/n.!)

The two "long-service-orders" - Red Star & Red Banner #2 - are also missing.

Best regards

Christian

Dear Ron,

great group of a top-gun pilot :beer:

54928 = missing Lenin

5768 = missing Motherland 3cl (very low s/n.!)

The two "long-service-orders" - Red Star & Red Banner #2 - are also missing.

Best regards

Christian

Thank I new about the red banner #2 and red star. Didn't notice that two other long service are missing, thought he only got the one.

Thank I new about the red banner #2 and red star. Didn't notice that two other long service are missing, thought he only got the one.

Dear Ron,

I just checked the entry of Red Banner #2 and I think, that it was NO "long-service-order".

Medal & Red Star: yes. (10 & 15 years)

Sorry for my mistake :blush: .

Best regards

Christian

That's his Lenin (54928) and the Homeland 3rd (5768) that are missing from the group. The fact that his Lenin was missing was what killed it for me when a dealer offered it back in about 2001. It sure is a neat group though!!!

Dave

Yes it is a shame that they are missing. I wonder, did he sell off some of his orders, before he let go the remaining group. Or did they just get lost? As he still had the group as of 1995.

The back side.

Thanks, Ron. Very nice ORB, only a few thousand numbers away from the screwback-types. That Red Banner looks like a later variation (T3V2?) in my opinion, but that could be the picture. If i may ask for an additional picture, could you post a closeup of the serialnumber and the mint mark?

Thanks again

all the best,

Gerd

Thanks, Ron. Very nice ORB, only a few thousand numbers away from the screwback-types. That Red Banner looks like a later variation (T3V2?) in my opinion, but that could be the picture. If i may ask for an additional picture, could you post a closeup of the serialnumber and the mint mark?

Thanks again

all the best,

Gerd

No problem here it is.

• 3 weeks later...