News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,

I came across with this citation I've been offered.

never seen before, such field-made version.

were they really issued at the very end of the War ?

fortunately, it wasn't offered is accompanying with the Cross itself

I suppose, in this case it looks as absolutely unbelievable thing ?

Thank you in advance.

Alex.

Edited by alexhip

Actually, it looks possible. I kinda don't like the stamp though, having never seen one like it. If you could find out who the signer is (as the sig looks to be done in an authentic style) there might be hope for this doc. Will take some research though.

best

Hank

Guest Rick Research

General der Panzertruppen Traugott Herr (1890-1976) took over as commander of 10th Army on 15 February 1945. That might be his signature-- or not. I've never seen his signature.

But Wriedt is NOT listed as a recipient of the German Cross in Gold.

General der Panzertruppen Traugott Herr (1890-1976) took over as commander of 10th Army on 15 February 1945. That might be his signature-- or not. I've never seen his signature.

But Wriedt is NOT listed as a recipient of the German Cross in Gold.

Interesting Rick. Really doesn't look like "Herr", my thought was it also doesn't look like some of the forced signatures very often seen on fakes.

Do you have any opinion on the stamp? That's what makes me nervous and skeptical. My thoughts were, this is such a late date for the DKiG, it's possible that he might be one of the overlooked recipients.

Mind you, I'm not arguing this is guaranteed authentic, just keeping an open mind at this point.

best,

Hank

Edited by hankmeister

The signature is consistent with that of Trautgott Herr's. Bearing in mind the very late date of the award and the fact that it stems from Armee headquarters rather than the OKH then it isn't too surprising Wriedt doesn't appear in the lists of recipients.

The way i would tackle this would be to try and see if Wriedt appears anywhere as belonging to s.Pz.Abt.504. As a hauptmann i'd hazzard a guess he was company commander of the 3 kompanie at the time in question.

Another thing i'd check would be if this AOK 10 stamp was in use in '45.

Italy isn't my thing so i can't be of much help i'm afraid but there are plenty of people out there with a wealth of knowledge on things Italian and of course things Tiger.

Herr was not authorised.

True, but consider the situation the 10 Armee found itself in on the 29th April 1945. Herr either did it off his own back knowing the end was in sight anyway and because he was virtually cut off and about to capitulate (2nd May) or the confirmation of the award was received by teleprinter, no way a proper award document could come through from OKH at that time so a certain bending of the rules is the only thing to do.

True, but consider the situation the 10 Armee found itself in on the 29th April 1945. Herr either did it off his own back knowing the end was in sight anyway and because he was virtually cut off and about to capitulate (2nd May) or the confirmation of the award was received by teleprinter, no way a proper award document could come through from OKH at that time so a certain bending of the rules is the only thing to do.

Possible, but I would assume this will never be an award you could confirm, unless you find his Wehrpass.

Technically it would be an unofficial award if it turned out Herr did it on his own initiative.

It may be an interesting topic on its own, who was allowed to award what at which level.