News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Couple Red Stars to Generals

Guest Rick Research

When did Ovadovsky get his?

I see Tsherbinin's specifically ends with in connection with the 50th anniversary of the Great October-- suggesting a rash of these end of 1967 awards at least to senior ranks.

Have you got a serial number "block" going on those? Do these come with Single Entry Orders Books, or added into earlier ones?

How did you pick these-- from other paperwork suggesting high likelihood of a research "score" or are you just doing late 1960s numbers en masse?

It would be VERY interesting indeed to see any legal statutory justification--at all-- for the reversion to ceremonial jubilee type awards of these decorations when that had seemingly been stopped in 1957. Hmmm.

Rick:

Obadovsky's was awarded by Ukaz dated 22.2.68. This seemed to be a common award date for the awarding of awards in conjunction with the 50th Anniversary of the founding of the Soviet Armed forces. However, there was another Ukaz on 15.2.68 which also awarded ones for the same thing. Go figure.

Serial numbers for the 15.2.68 Ukaz have been seen to range from 3602335 to 3608553. Observed serial numbers for the 22.2.68 Ukaz range from 3615525 to 3615573. Granted, this isn't a huge range - there are probably many, many out there that haven't been observed yet. And, to top it off, serial numbers range EVERYWHERE from the 60s through the 80s. For example, 3727399 was awarded as part of the huge 28.10.67 Ukaz for the 50th Anniversary of the Revolution, whereas 3663889 (from Echoes of War) was awarded to Col Gen Fomin on 19.7.85 - 500,000 serial numbers LESS, but 18 years LATER!

This is part of the reason I like to poke fun at eBay sellers who claim their Red Stars are "for Afghanistan"... without research, it's simply impossible to know for sure. For example, I might have passed up Gerd's Red Star if I saw it on eBay because his serial number 3703545 is VERY close to a block of awards given to old toads on 28.10.67 in commemoration of the 50th Anniversary of the Revolution - the highest one of those I have in my records is serial number 3702524. Previously, the earliest serial number that had been seen for Afghanistan was 3741353.

Anyway, interesting stuff that has consumed way too much money and time of my efforts, but is all part of the addiction.... :cool:

Dave

Guest Rick Research

Rats! So we are STILL stuck with No Book/ No Date for these late ones, and no easy way to GUESS. :(

I could KICK myself for not having had the interest (then) to have twisted off the screwdisks on a BOXLOAD of never-issued Red Stars back about 8-10 years ago, when I wasn't interested in anything after the 1950s.

Thats very interesting. Great info, Dave. :beer: So my Red Star Nr. 3703545 is the earliest Serialnumber observed for Afghanistan?

Btw, i have pretty much expected, that it is one of the 50 years Revolution-Anniversary Red Stars. Someone once gave me a serialnumber-range for Red Stars for Afghanistan, which was 3 730 *** to 3 820 ***

Gerd

No Gerd, your Red Star is not the earliest obeserved.

regards

Andreas

Andreas:

Great data!

I'd like to include this information into my database. Can you tell me about some of the details of the research that has been done on them? Thanks!!! :beer:

Dave