News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dutch Crown Order

Are you referring to the Order of the Crown?

When first established in 1841, the Order of the Oak Crown was constituted in a hurry, as the Grand Duke wanted to establish the Order before the Grand Duchy got a constitution. The badge, the ribbon, and the (then) four-class structure of the order were inspired by the Russian Order of St. George. This was probably due to the fact that William II was married to a daughter of the Czar, and that he had received the Order of St. George after his gallant command at the Battle of Waterloo.

:beer: Doc

Edited by Riley1965

No, he means the crown order, which has almost the same medals and likeness as the houseorder of Orange,

but it's ribbon is orange with the colours of the dutch flag on the sides of the ribbon.

batkoz.gif

This site of Eric will give you information of the decorations,

for more information, you will have to wait untill tonight or later this week as we, dutchies, have a public holiday, the second christmas.

He knows more about this order and it's receipments.

As far as I know, this order is still in use and still awarded, but not so publicy as ever before, just sparely as it's a order of merit, so her majesty is guarding the esteem of this order very strictly.

Also is it merely a private order than a state honour, thus not really publicy announced.

Kind regards,

Jacky

Hi Jacky

Thanks so much for your reply. Do you know if the medals are the same as the House Order of Orange? I will wait for Erik to get back from his tweede kerstdag holiday. Although living in Holland myself, I am still behindmy laptop most of the time during these holidays...

Happy new year

David

I am still behind my laptop most of the time during these holidays...

Sounds familiar :rolleyes:

The Crown Order (Kroonorde) is part of the Family Order of Orange and is only awarded to foreigners, this to make the Family Order special to merit Dutch service to the Royal Family. One of the best known recipients is Prince Charles, who wore it as the only foreign royalty during the wedding of Prince William Alexander and Princess Margerita (Prince Charles also holds an GC of the Order of the Netherlands Lion, but then again, we know how the British royal family gets dressed for official state visits: Prince Philip wore the Order of the Leopard of Congo instead of the Order of Leopold of Belgium during a state visit to Belgium. Looking at that the Crown Order instead of the Order of the Netherlands Lion is less painful).

During the last state visit to Belgium the GC of the Crown Order was also awarded to the Belgian princesses.

The medals are identical to that of the Family Order of Orange. The crosses of the Order itself also, although they are enammeled white instead of red.

Edited by ErikMuller

And Yes..

The master has spoken again....

But I don't like the phrase about the beauty of the Netherlands Lion......

I consider them both lovely.

Eric,

are there any pictures of the decoration of the belgian princesses??

Or any other decorandee??

Kind regards and

"Prettige jaar wisseling gewenst"

Jacky

The master has spoken again....

Master? Hmmm... much to learn yet... consider me a bachelor :cheers:

But I don't like the phrase about the beauty of the Netherlands Lion......

I never said it wasn't beautiful... I meant to say it is less painful to show up in a foreign country with the lesser of two orders of that country, than showing up with the GC-set of a former colony of that country.

A grand cross set of a former colony of that country???

From what colony was the order of the netherlands lion??

Oh you meant that he wore the "lesser" order instead of the higher order, while his father wore the GC of the former colony...

Well I guess he thought that as it was a family happening, not really the state-occassion, thus he would wear the family order instead of the state order. Not a bad guess!!!

Kind regards,

Jacky

A grand cross set of a former colony of that country???

From what colony was the order of the netherlands lion??

The order of the Leopard of Congo was instituted in 1966, when the republic was independant of Belgium. Later it became Za?re an then Congo again, after Moboutu died.

The order of the Netherlands Lion was created in september 1815 for that part of the country that's named Belgium since 1830. :(

Edited by oli4vercammen

The order of the Leopard of Congo was instituted in 1966, when the republic was independant of Belgium. Later it became Za?re an then Congo again, after Moboutu died.

The order of the Netherlands Lion was created in september 1815 for that part of the country that's named Belgium since 1830.

I did not know the Order of the Dutch Lion was instituted for the southern part of the Koninkrijk only? Why did it not become a belgian order with a namechange lateron?

David

I did not know the Order of the Dutch Lion was instituted for the southern part of the Koninkrijk only? Why did it not become a belgian order with a namechange lateron?

David

It was not created for Belgium only. It was created as a general order of merit to the Netherlands. The capitol of the country was in Brussels then, so that's why most of the awards in the early days were in the area of Belgium.

Erik

The Order of the Dutch Lion was cald in dutch "Orde van de Nederlandse Leeuw" in the south part of the kingdom of the Netherlands (1815-1830) (Now Belgium) was it cald "Ordre du Lion de Belgique" by the French speaking part. So you can have confussion. But the orders has been created as an Order of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in 1815 as a knight order for civilian Merit, earlier that year King Willem I created the "Militaire Willems Orde" (MWO) who was an order for Military merit.

After the independance of the sout part of the kingdom in 1830 (Belgium) The kingdom of the Netherlands (the North part) will hold his order system of the 2 orders created by king Willem I, who stayed as king of the Kingdom of the Netherlands after 1830.

See her a beautifull drawing of the order of the Belgian Lion :rolleyes: out the book of A. Wahlen from 1844.

Edited by g_deploige

Dear Erik

We will :beer: in february on that beautifull order I like it very mutch. But I still like the french name of the order ;)

Guy

I'm not sure if I will attend in February, since I will be getting the keys of my new house around that time, but drink on it we will in due future!

Now back on topic: does anyone have a picture of the Crown Order? I only have a pic of the associated Medal of Honor in silver.

I'm not sure if I will attend in February, since I will be getting the keys of my new house around that time, but drink on it we will in due future!

Now back on topic: does anyone have a picture of the Crown Order? I only have a pic of the associated Medal of Honor in silver.

Where could we find a list of the recipients of the Dutch Crown Order? Would it be at the Huisarchief? or at the Kanselarij der Nederlandse Orden?

David

Where could we find a list of the recipients of the Dutch Crown Order? Would it be at the Huisarchief? or at the Kanselarij der Nederlandse Orden?

That would be the House Archives of the Royal Family, but I won't give you much change of getting any information from them. They usually tend to keep award files closed for 50 years and since the Crown Order was instituted in 1969 I don't think any records will be made public til 2019.