News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

That's a beautiful mint Bavarian officer's ribbon bar. The front is upside down in your scan. Should look like this:

With no Bavarian army jubilee medal on there, this must have belonged to an Oberleutnant or Leutnant, so the Saxon award must have been an Albert Order-Knight 2nd X.

The lapel bow looks like under an EK, Waldeck's Napoleonic Wars Campaign medals, whcih it can't be.

Guest Rick Research

Ah! I knew that couldn't be--

it is Waldeck's 1915 Friedrich-Bathildis Medal. Quite rare. Given for war effort, care of the sick-- that sort of thing.

There were EXACTLY 314 ever awarded.

Very nice. :cheers:

That would make sense, but Nimmergut gives another ribbon for this medal: the same as for the merit cross. So I guess he's wrong and the old napoleonic ribbon has been reused as anyway none was still walking around with it in World War I ?! ;)

Guest Rick Research

Yup. That is the first typographical error for a number I have ever noticed in the B?nder-Katalog.

However, check out good old von Hessenthal und Schreiber and there it is. "Recycled" indeed-- just as the 1870-71 War Medal deliberately mimicked the 1813-15 medals-- and the Hindenburg Cross repeated exactly the 1870 medals.

Which made me realzie that I actually HAVE the full size ribbon of a Friedrich-Bathildis Medal here (obviously it isn't the Napoleonic vintage). This was in Tony Colson's box of scraps from a defunct WW2-era German medal bar outfitter (who used these odds and ends as the "guts" inside remounted groups) that came to me as a fellow pack rat. I had actually put it aside thinking it was something West German from the colors and metallic threads before this all jogged my memory:

and that's the closest to one of those I'll ever come.

Oddly enough, of the 314 recipients, more than 100 being immediately removable (women)... out of all the others, I can only come up with less than 10 who MIGHT have only had a combatant EK2 1914 and nothing else.

That is one insanely rare lapel bow pair!

And THAT is what makes the smallest and most ordinary LOOKING Imperial stuff soooooooooo fascinating.

• 3 weeks later...